Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yana Begun <Ya...@view22.com> on 2004/06/18 21:23:41 UTC

sleepy tomcat

Hi,

I have stand alone version of our web application running with Tomcat.

Everything is fine, but after displaying 5-6 pages it starts to work
VERY slowly. Like 30 minutes for one page.

CPU is not busy at this moment. It seems like nothing happen or tomcat
falling asleep.

I thought that the problem is the cheap database that we use for this
version, but when I tried to connect to the MSSQL, result was the same.

Any recommendations, what I can check or how I can test this stuff?

Thanks, Yana

Re[2]: Still problems /w TC 4.1.29 on RedHat

Posted by "Sergey Velikanov [UzPAK]" <vg...@uzpak.uz>.
:)) Yes, I've received it too, but I beginner at this maillist and I
thought that my question really was very stupid :))

Re: Still problems /w TC 4.1.29 on RedHat

Posted by Harald Henkel <h....@gs-automation.de>.

--
Harald Henkel

GS automation GmbH
Winterstraße 2
82223 Eichenau
Germany
Tel:    + 49-8141-35 731-37
Fax:    + 49-8141-35 731-38
Mobile: + 49-178-7829126
e-mail: H.Henkel@GS-automation.DE
Web:    www.GS-automation.DE

Still problems /w TC 4.1.29 on RedHat

Posted by Harald Henkel <h....@gs-automation.de>.
Hello everybody.

I have a big problem with Tomcat on a Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 with
kernel 2.4.9-e.27smp
and Sun Java SDK 1.4.2-02-b06.

The Java processes are increasing all the time, but not continuously but
in big chunks.
Tomcat was started the last time last thursday with two base processes
and about 11 "working" processes.

Later, the same day, there were 16, 4 and 12 processes created (every
group with the same timestamp and increasing pids),
summing up to 45. The next day, 2 were created and 2 gone away.

Then sometime on sunday evening, 19 were ctreated and today another 19
while a total of 6 went away.

I tried to correlate the creation timestamp of the processes with some
actions in the application, but without success.

The application is uses an Oracle database via JSP and some compiled
Java Classes. It is a 3-frame WEB application with one frame used for
data input and controlling what is displayed in the other two. One of
the others is updated regularly every 10 to 20 seconds, by a JavaScript
timer.

At the time of the last process creations there hasn't been any activity
(like logging on a new user/terminal or inserting other data).
Only the regular updates on two terminals.

I set the environment variable LV_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1, before
starting Tomcat.
Yet, anyway, I found a document on the Sun website, claiming, that JDK
1.4.2 (in contrast to 1.4.1) should work not only without problem with
the NPTL on Linux but perform a lot better than 1.4.1 with the old
threads library.

Before setting this env var, when the Java processes reached the number
of 100 Tomcat stopped responding with an error message stating all
threads are busy (status75). Since the change, the proccesses reached
"only" about 75 now, but will probably soon hit the 100 again.

Please let me know, if I can/should provide additional info like
server.xml and other configuration data.

Anybody got any idea of what's happening/ what's causing this behaviour
?
Any help highly appreciated,
Harald Henkel

Re: sleepy tomcat

Posted by Wade Chandler <wc...@redesetgrow.com>.
Yana Begun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have stand alone version of our web application running with Tomcat.
>
> Everything is fine, but after displaying 5-6 pages it starts to work
> VERY slowly. Like 30 minutes for one page.
>
> CPU is not busy at this moment. It seems like nothing happen or tomcat
> falling asleep.
>
> I thought that the problem is the cheap database that we use for this
> version, but when I tried to connect to the MSSQL, result was the same.
>
> Any recommendations, what I can check or how I can test this stuff?
>

> Thanks, Yana

Sounds like you need to debug your standalone application.  Do you have
  an environment you can debug with?  Using Netbeans you can easily do
this.  Don't use tomcat as a service and where the jvm is started add
these parameters (assuming windows):
-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_shmem,server=n,address=mywebapp

Now in netbeans 3.6 you would click Debug->Start Session->Attach

in the drop down choose shared memory (windows only is shared memory
debug....and I think maybe Solaris).

in the name text field type in mywebapp

Now press ok.

In your app code you should now be able to set some break points and try
to track down where the slow points are.

It's better to first try to locate an area before debugging though.
Good time logging should allow you to do something like that.  You could
make a database table and a class to use with it for logging.  Then
write out some timed logs to this....you use a table so you can query
your log and you can put different flags and descriptions in the logged
info so you can match up enter/exit to the start and end times.

Another simple scheme that works is to write a class you can use to time
operations and then just scatter timed log statements over your
code....not too many just enough to give you an idea where the issue is
then start narrowing in.

Once you see the general problem you should be able to debug and have ab
better idea of where the issue is.

Hope that helps you out.

Wade

Re: sleepy tomcat

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev <de...@hanik.com>.
look in your code, that is where it happens,
most likely your code is super slow, and the other requests are just being queued until your current requests are completing.

Filip