Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2018/12/31 10:44:23 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS]Enhancing flink scheduler by implementing blacklist mechanism

Thank you for the detailed design proposal. I think in general, some
blacklisting is a good idea to have.

The proposal goes immediately very far and adds a lot of additional
complexity, so let me play devil's advocate here and challenge the proposal
a bit.

*Concerns / Doubts*

  - The proposal here is trying to solve all possible problems in a super
big solution. It adds a lot of complexity and special case code.
  - The complexity is designed into a component which is already very
complex: The scheduler. Work on locality-optimized scheduling, better batch
scheduling, speculative execution, etc. already makes the scheduler very
complex. I think we should try to keep additional complexity out if
possible.

  - Especially in a quickly evolving project with an open community like
Flink, simplicity is a great good. It allows us to move faster in the
future and makes outside contributions easier to write, and easier to
review and to ensure quality.

  - As an example: I think that aspects like "missing python library" are
artifacts of previous generation resource managers. The (Docker) image
based systems (Mesos, K8s, ...) should simply not have this problems any
more. Adding code to handle such cases seems to me as adding "instant
legacy" code.

*Suggestions*
(these are not a fleshed out proposals, but thoughts for directions to go
into)

  - We should try and delegate as much of this work as possible to the
resource management framework, like Yarn, Mesos, K8s, etc.
  - Within Flink, we should see if we can have blacklisting code only in
the Resource Manager, plus by defining certain exception types.

  - For each type of blacklisting, let's look at where we would need to
implement it, and whether it is a good tradeoff between between breadth of
improvement versus code complexity and maintenance effort.

  - Example: We can have an exception type that indicates a failure due to
an environment issue (full disk, missing parts in the environment, network
connectivity issue). That should trigger an exit of the TaskManager with a
non-zero code. Yarn/Mesos/K8s should have some own blacklist mechanisms,
which will not schedule an application's process on a certain host again,
if it failed there too often. This might be an easy way to delegate
complexity and keep Flink's own code and architecture simple.

  - Having no blacklisting code in the scheduler, but only in the resource
manager means most likely that blacklisting applies to all jobs of a
session together. I think we should look at whether this is acceptable,
because it greatly simplifies the problem. In which cases is that not
sufficient?

  - If there are more fine grained blacklisting needed in certain unique
deployments, would it be fair to say that this should require the
implementation of a specialized scheduler (rather than add the code to the
core Flink scheduler?). With some of the current refactorings, the next
Flink releases should make it possible to add custom schedulers.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Best,
Stephan