Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Warhurst, SI (Spencer) " <S....@rl.ac.uk> on 2002/09/16 16:19:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Sub-domains

I'm running Apache 2.40 on Win2k and we have a domain - mailtalk.ac.uk. If I
wanted a series of domains like this:

list1.mailtalk.ac.uk
list2.mailtalk.ac.uk
etc

How would I go about it? Is there a way to achieve this with just Apache
itself or would I need to involve our network team & get them to manage a
list of sub-domains on their DNS server?

Thanks

--
Spencer Warhurst

Re: [users@httpd] Sub-domains

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Warhurst, SI (Spencer)  wrote:

> I'm running Apache 2.40 on Win2k and we have a domain - mailtalk.ac.uk. If I
> wanted a series of domains like this:
>
> list1.mailtalk.ac.uk
> list2.mailtalk.ac.uk
> etc
>
> How would I go about it? Is there a way to achieve this with just Apache
> itself or would I need to involve our network team & get them to manage a
> list of sub-domains on their DNS server?

Names must be resolved via DNS before the request will even be seen by
the Apache server. Apache does not do any name resolution. Adding
virtual hosts does not make names resolve.

Or, as fajita says on the #apache irc channel ...

<fajita> Creating virtual host configurations on your Apache server does
not magically cause DNS entries to be created for those host names. You
*must* have the names in DNS, resolving to your IP address, or nobody
will be able to see your web site.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI