Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mikael Frykholm <mi...@logica.com> on 2008/04/17 13:17:25 UTC

Implementing client side certificates in Microsoft Certificate store

Hi,
We are interested in adding functionality in subversion to be able to
use client side certificates from the cert store and hardware crypto
cards in windows. Is there any interest in the subversion project to
accept patches for this kind of functionality?

I searched around for other implementations and it seems like openvpn
does something similar to what we want.

/Mikael Frykholm

Re: Implementing client side certificates in Microsoft Certificate store

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Mikael Frykholm
<mi...@logica.com> wrote:

>  We are interested in adding functionality in subversion to be able to
>  use client side certificates from the cert store and hardware crypto
>  cards in windows. Is there any interest in the subversion project to accept
> patches for this kind of functionality?
>
>  I searched around for other implementations and it seems like openvpn does
> something similar to what we want.

It seems more likely that this sort of feature would need to be
contributed to the Neon library that Subversion uses.

http://www.webdav.org/neon/

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Implementing client side certificates in Microsoft Certificate store

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be> wrote:
> Subversion 1.5, and more specifically neon 0.28 will add support for
>  PKCS#11. I've never used it, so I can't say of the specific provider
>  you need is supported, but what you need might already be implemented.

Joe Orton recently said this is not implemented on Windows.  On Unix
they are using something called pakchois.  I think it would be great
to see this implemented for Windows too.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Implementing client side certificates in Microsoft Certificate store

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
Subversion 1.5, and more specifically neon 0.28 will add support for
PKCS#11. I've never used it, so I can't say of the specific provider
you need is supported, but what you need might already be implemented.

Some threads you might find useful:
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2008-03/0145.shtml
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2008-02/0242.shtml

I can't speak for the neon project, but if any changes to Subversion
are needed to support your particular provider I'm sure they will be
reviewed.

hth,

Lieven