Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/09 10:31:52 UTC

[classlib][summary] Exception throwing compatibility

Hello All,

I'd like to update our "Exception-throwing compatibility"[1] to reflect
our discussion in several threads recently. I just created a wiki page
here[2], please kindly comment or update the wiki page directly. If
there is no objection, I will provide a patch for
site/xdocs/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.xml

Thanks a lot.

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.html
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Exception-throwing_compatibility

--
Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib][summary] Exception throwing compatibility

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> On 8/9/06, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2006/8/9, Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>:
>> > If the spec does not specify which exception is thrown, I think RI
>> *is*
>> > compliant with the specification. Am I wrong?
>>
>> I wanted to separate cases when the spec is not clear enough and
>> RI's behavior either hard to reproduce or odd.
>>
>> For example if sqrt(-2) threw exception1, sqrt(-5) threw exception2 and
>> sqrt(-187) threw exception3
>

> The real example is issue 1114 :)

Great catch   ;-)   I have updated the wiki page.

Best regards,
Richard

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
2006/8/9, Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>:
> On 8/9/06, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2006/8/9, Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>:
> > > If the spec does not specify which exception is thrown, I think RI *is*
> > > compliant with the specification. Am I wrong?
> >
> > I wanted to separate cases when the spec is not clear enough and
> > RI's behavior either hard to reproduce or odd.
> >
> > For example if sqrt(-2) threw exception1, sqrt(-5) threw exception2 and
> > sqrt(-187) threw exception3
>

>  The real example is issue 1114 :)

LOL

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> 2006/8/9, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
>> Andrew Zhang wrote:
>> > "But there are some cases that RI throws an implementation specific
>> > exception, we shall throw its public superclass. e.g., If RI throws
>> > sun.io.MalformedInputException, we shall throw
>> > java.io.CharConversionException. "
>> >
>> > I think it's OK to throw Harmony-implement subclass of the public
>> > superclass
>> > for some cases? Do you think so?
>>
>> I agree.  In fact it says that in the preceding paragraph:
>
> but in the next paragraph it says:
>
> "If RI is compliant with the Java Specification We shall follow RI's
> behavior, that is, throws exactly the same exception. "
>
> I'd mention subclass here too.

I agree.  "Following RI" means throwing the same exception or its subclass.

> It might make sense to split "If RI is not compliant with the Java
> Specification"
> to two categories: when we thing the spec does not specify which
> excactly exception is thrown and when spec does specify but RI throws
> a different exception
If the spec does not specify which exception is thrown, I think RI *is*
compliant with the specification. Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.
Richard.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Andrew Zhang wrote:
>
>> "But there are some cases that RI throws an implementation specific
>> exception, we shall throw its public superclass. e.g., If RI throws
>> sun.io.MalformedInputException, we shall throw
>> java.io.CharConversionException. "
>>
>> I think it's OK to throw Harmony-implement subclass of the public
>> superclass
>> for some cases? Do you think so?
>>

> I agree.  In fact it says that in the preceding paragraph:
>
> "Harmony class library code should throw exceptions of the same runtime
> class (or a subtype of that runtime class) as the RI, other than in
> cases where the RI throws non-public types whereupon Harmony will throw
> an exception with the same public supertype."
>
> [I'd replace 'should throw' with 'throws' though]

Thanks a lot, Tim. I will update the wiki page accordingly.

Best regards,
Richard

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Alex Blewitt wrote:
> I think that as long as the spec says throws java.x.Y, and we throw a
> java.x.Y (or an o.a.h subclass of java.x.Y) then that meets the spec.

Yes. That really complies with the spec. But for Harmony, Complying with
spec is not enough. What we are aiming is that user applications would
not be broken if they transfer from RI to Harmony. IMHO, we shall try
our best to *comply* with RI. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks a lot.

> I think the wording could be clearer though; for example, the 'public
> superclass' is almost certainly meant to be 'an exception in the
> standard Java class libraries'. For a start,
> sun.io.MalformedInputException might actually be a subclass of
> sun.io.GeneralInputException, which has the ACC_PUBLIC bit set (even
> though it's not a defined class in the Java spec).

Yes, this description is really confusing. (That's why I post it on wiki
page for comments ;-) )

And....
> Perhaps "If the exception thrown is a direct instance of an exception
> from the Java libraries, we will throw the same exception; if it is an
> instance of an exception not in the Java libraries then we will throw
> an equivalent o.a.h exception or a parent exception in the Java
> libraries". It's possible that there's an exception class which is
> abstract that we must create a subclass for, though off the top of my
> head I can't think of an abstract exception class in the Java
> libraries ...
Your suggestion sounds better. Thanks a lot, Alex

Best regards,
Richard

Re: Re: [classlib][summary] Exception throwing compatibility

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
"But there are some cases that RI throws an implementation specific
exception, we shall throw its public superclass. e.g., If RI throws
sun.io.MalformedInputException, we shall throw
java.io.CharConversionException. "

I think it's OK to throw Harmony-implement subclass of the public superclass
for some cases? Do you think so?

On 8/9/06, Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'd like to update our "Exception-throwing compatibility"[1] to reflect
> our discussion in several threads recently. I just created a wiki page
> here[2], please kindly comment or update the wiki page directly. If
> there is no objection, I will provide a patch for
> site/xdocs/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.xml
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> [1]
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.html
> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Exception-throwing_compatibility
>
> --
> Richard Liang
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

Andrew Zhang

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> We don't have such a JIRA category:
>
> "If we decide to follow RI, we will raise an "Non-bug differences from
> Spec" JIRA.

Do you think we need this category to record Harmony's complying-with-RI
behavior while breaking the spec? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Richard Liang wrote:

> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> We don't have such a JIRA category:
>>
>> "If we decide to follow RI, we will raise an "Non-bug differences from
>> Spec" JIRA.
>>

> Yes. Just thinking about whether we need this category :-)

Yes.

geir

Re: [classlib][summary] Exception throwing compatibility

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> We don't have such a JIRA category:
>
> "If we decide to follow RI, we will raise an "Non-bug differences from
> Spec" JIRA.

Yes. Just thinking about whether we need this category :-)

> Do you really need the section starting:
>
> "We consider RI is compliant with the Java Specification, if RI..."

Aha... Just explain the meaning of "be compliant with Java
Specification". If we think it's self-explaining, it's not necessary.

Best regards,
Richard.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
+1.
Hope RI always follows spec or else we need a clear strategy.:)

On 8/9/06, Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'd like to update our "Exception-throwing compatibility"[1] to reflect
> our discussion in several threads recently. I just created a wiki page
> here[2], please kindly comment or update the wiki page directly. If
> there is no objection, I will provide a patch for
> site/xdocs/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.xml
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> [1]
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.html
> [2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Exception-throwing_compatibility
>
> --
> Richard Liang
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

Leo Li

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
Harmony-1170 has been raised to reflect our conclusion. I have attached