Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Vinay Shukla <vi...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/16 06:39:53 UTC

Zeppelin - Request for Time Boxed Releases

Hello,

So far there has been one release of Zeppelin. In the last few months there
has been much work in the community to add new features and fix issues.

It will be great to also have a predictable release schedule for Zeppelin.
Generally software projects are either time boxed or feature boxed.
The time boxed releases are very helpful for fast moving projects and to
help plan.
For example, the knowledge that a new iPhone version comes out every
september help people plan their upgrade, or a  train's schedule helps
passengers plan their trip.
It will be great to make Zeppelin releases predictable to help the Zeppelin
community plan their uptake.

So far the current roadmap is feature based. But we don't know when 0.6.0
will be released.

It would be great to do 4 releases/year for this young project. May I
request the community to consider releasing 4 releases/year?

Thank you,

Vinay

Re: Zeppelin - Request for Time Boxed Releases

Posted by Victor Manuel Garcia <vi...@beeva.com>.
+1

--
*Victor Manuel Garcia Martinez*
*Ingeniero de Software

*+34 672104297  | victor.garcia@beeva.com <ma...@beeva.com>*
             *              | victormanuel.garcia.martinez@bbva.com
<ma...@bbva.com>*

<http://www.beeva.com/>

Re: Zeppelin - Request for Time Boxed Releases

Posted by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by madhuka udantha <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by IT CTO <go...@gmail.com>.
+1.
Just need to make sure we keep the quality bar high and not push features
to the last minute.
Eran

בתאריך יום ה׳, 17 בספט׳ 2015, 06:53 מאת moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>:

> Hi Vinay,
>
> Thanks for great suggestion.
> As you know, current roadmap is feature based. But I think it really make
> sense to have regular, time based release policy.
>
> 4 releases/year is very reasonable i think.
>
> While we're in discussion of 0.5.x release, I think we can think changing
> release policy from feature based to time based right after 0.5.x release.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Best,
> moon
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM Vinay Shukla <vi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> So far there has been one release of Zeppelin. In the last few months
>> there has been much work in the community to add new features and fix
>> issues.
>>
>> It will be great to also have a predictable release schedule for
>> Zeppelin. Generally software projects are either time boxed or feature
>> boxed.
>> The time boxed releases are very helpful for fast moving projects and to
>> help plan.
>> For example, the knowledge that a new iPhone version comes out every
>> september help people plan their upgrade, or a  train's schedule helps
>> passengers plan their trip.
>> It will be great to make Zeppelin releases predictable to help the
>> Zeppelin community plan their uptake.
>>
>> So far the current roadmap is feature based. But we don't know when 0.6.0
>> will be released.
>>
>> It would be great to do 4 releases/year for this young project. May I
>> request the community to consider releasing 4 releases/year?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Vinay
>>
> --
Eran | "You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless)

Re: Zeppelin - Request for Time Boxed Releases

Posted by IT CTO <go...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Alex <ab...@nflabs.com>.
Thank you for starting the discussion,

Indeed, a release every quarter makes perfect sense to me.

Shall we start then by scheduling, i.e release 0.5.x this month (end of Q3) and then 0.6 by the new year?

We can also think about scaling this later I.e by nominating a release-manager every quoter, etc.

Enthusiastic +1 for giving it a try.

--
Kind regards,
Alexander