Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Erickson <ha...@ratemod.com> on 2006/07/10 07:48:53 UTC

Maildir support?

I googled and found a maildir support patch for James mentioning something
about version 3.0.. however that seems to be a long ways out, is maildir
support added in 2.3?

Thanks,
David

Re: Maildir support?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
David Erickson wrote:
> One of my needs to run James in production use is an IMAP server.. if James
> supports maildir would it be possible to run courier or some other service
> as an IMAP server over the same data?
>
> -David

I don't know how locking is managed by Courier, but once locking issues
have been solved it should be possible.

Stefano

RE: Maildir support?

Posted by Joachim Draeger <jd...@joachim-draeger.de>.
Am Montag, den 10.07.2006, 08:58 -0600 schrieb David Erickson:
> One of my needs to run James in production use is an IMAP server.. if James
> supports maildir would it be possible to run courier or some other service
> as an IMAP server over the same data?

Maildir itself is perfectly suited to be accessed by multiple
applications simultaneously because it does not use any locking.

Javamaildir has the limitation that only one instance (of Javamaildir or
James using Javamaildir) is allowed to access its ".uidvalidity" file.

AFAIK courier and other applications use different file-names so it is
no problem. (In my courier Maildir folder those file-names all start
with courier*)

Conclusion: Yes. :-)

A native James Maildir implementation could even be accessed by multiple
instances of James, because at the moment there is no need to store any
uid information.

Joachim

RE: Maildir support?

Posted by David Erickson <ha...@ratemod.com>.