Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/09/11 21:35:24 UTC

Re: Installing Struts

Jennifer Grechuk wrote:

> Hi all,  I am trying to install struts on my computer and I can't seem
> to get it working.  Apache and tomcat work, however when I copy the
> struts-documentation.war and struts-example.war files into
> $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps, tomcat will no longer start up.  A guy in the
> office has struts installed and he says that copying these two files is
> all he had to do, but it kills tomcat on my computer.
>
> My classpath
> is:d:\weblogic\classes;d:\weblogic\license\WebLogicLicense.xml;d:\weblogic\lib\weblogic510sp5boot.jar;d:\weblogic\oci\classes;c:\jdk1.2.2\Jre\lib
>
> I also have JAVA_HOME =C:\jdk1.2.2
> and TOMCAT_HOME = c:\tomcat
> any and all help would be reallly appreciated as I am totally new to all
> of this.
> Thanks

If it doesn't start, Tomcat will generally leave some error messages in the log files.  These would be tremendously helpful in debugging your
problem.

> --
> Jennifer Grechuk
> Canlink
> (613) 549-7883 ext. 26
> (613) 549-5333 Fax

Craig McClanahan

====================
                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re: Installing Struts

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jennifer Grechuk wrote:

> Hi Craig, thanks for pointing that out to me, I hadn't thought of that.  Actually I have now got the struts working, I installed Xerces and once I did
> that, tomcat came back up.  I'm a little surprised that this worked because in the Installing and Using Struts section of the README file, downloading
> and installing an XML parser is not marked with an * to indicate it is a required step.  Should it be or was it just a fluke that installing it fixed
> my problem? :)

Actually, all the steps are required to use the entire framework, including the use of the example application -- the (*) steps are the only ones required
if you take struts.tld and struts.jar, and want to use *only* the custom tags, not the MVC framework.  In other words, the custom tags themselves do not
require an XML parser.

Yes, that's pretty confusing.  Yes, it will be changed :-)

Good luck with Struts!

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re: Installing Struts