Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tejas Sanghavi <te...@patni.com> on 2005/06/01 16:43:35 UTC

[users@httpd] ScriptLog directive not working on Linux

Hi All,

I am also facing the same problem. I am using ScriptLog directive in
httpd.conf. When I am requesting for a cgi script, containing error, through
browser, the browser shows the error properly, but the Script Log is not
getting generated on RedHat Linux platforms (AS 2.1, WS 2.1 as well as AS
3.0) where Apache 2.0.53 is running.

When I am requesting the same script, the Apache 2.0.53 properly creates the
ScriptLog file on HP-UX machines (11i and 11iv2).

Pls guide me what's going wrong? Is this a problem on my Linux machine
setting or a Bug in the code???

NOTE: I've tried all the possibilities given in the attached mail, but then
also no positive outcome...

Thanks,
Tejas Sanghavi.

Posted by Tejas Sanghavi <te...@patni.com>.
Hi Aman,

As I said, I tried all the possibilities, but it didn't work. Now I've
resolved this problem. It was not due to the permission of the directory as
u said.

During configuration, I'd given "./configure ..... -enable-cgid" both on
Linux and HP. But on HP, the script was created, while not on Linux. Now I
compiled the same source without "--enable-cgid" with ./configure. And now,
it's working fine on Linux.

The conclusion is: On Linux, we have to force the Apache to use mod_cgi,
instead of mod_cgid. If -enable-cgid is given, mod_cgid is used, else
mod_cgi is used. With mod_cgi, ScriptLog files are created properly. One way
is not to use "--enable-cgid" with ./configure. The other way to force
Apache to use mod_cgi is to use "--with-mpm=worker" with ./configure script.

I found some info in the manual of Apache 2.0.53:
"On certain unix operating systems, forking a process from a multi-threaded
server is a very expensive operation because the new process will replicate
all the threads of the parent process. In order to avoid incurring this
expense on each CGI invocation, mod_cgid creates an external daemon that is
responsible for forking child processes to run CGI scripts. The main server
communicates with this daemon using a unix domain socket.

This module is used by default instead of mod_cgi whenever a multi-threaded
MPM is selected during the compilation process. At the user level, this
module is identical in configuration and operation to mod_cgi. The only
exception is the additional directive ScriptSock which gives the name of the
socket to use for communication with the cgi daemon."

Regards,

Tejas Sanghavi.

Posted by Aman Raheja <ar...@techquotes.com>.