Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2008/07/10 17:14:31 UTC

Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

It looks like we've got a good set of issues fixed for 2.0.10 and things
are starting to stabilize. We'll start publishing 2.0.10 RC's as early
as today. I think we worked out a good process with the 2.0.9 release
and we should continue in that direction. The basic principles are:

1)      we will stop to fix any regressions between 2.0.9 and 2.0.10

2)      Nothing else should be included once we start this process

The initial RCs will be posted to the dev list, but naturally everyone
is welcome to try them. After we get comfortable with the stability of
the RCs here, I'll again involve the user list for broader testing of
the system. This is where we found the majority of the serious issues
last time.

The issues chosen for 2.0.10 were primarily regressions identified over
earlier versions and the next highest voted issues that could be solved
without risking further destabilization and regressions.

Because we expect to have several iterations, the RCs will be tagged as
RCs to avoid us having to rewind all the versions back many times. Once
the final RC has stabilized, we will redo the release a final time so
that the version is correct. This build will be the one voted on and
hopefully ultimately released.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Release early, Release often

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

> > Many maven plugins get fixes and features but stay in SNAPSHOT for months
> > before some of us propose a new release. I think the main reason is the
> why? i mean why change it if you are not going to release it... i would
> figure
> that the trunk would nearly always never have changes...

Before I was accepted as a maven committer I never used SNAPSHOTs plugin to
build my project.
Now, most of my projects use SNAPSHOTS (timestamps) because some desired
feature has been fixed either by applying a patch or by making myself the
required change. Calling for a vote on a plugin I'm not familiar with and
with no idea of the roadmap is not easy.

IHMO this is a side effect of SNAPSHOTs : if you're confident with the
codebase and how to change it, you don't really require a release... some
more "automatic" release process would encourage them.

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:27:27 nicolas de loof wrote:
> I like the way Hudson does it's releases : there is a new version every
> month (and sometime every week) with one or two bu fixes and one new
> feature. This is a powerfull way to encourage users to provide patches, and
> to get feedback.
yes me too

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
I like the way Hudson does it's releases : there is a new version every
month (and sometime every week) with one or two bu fixes and one new
feature. This is a powerfull way to encourage users to provide patches, and
to get feedback.

Many maven plugins get fixes and features but stay in SNAPSHOT for months
before some of us propose a new release. I think the main reason is the lack
of plugin "owner" to support the release process. Maybe we need a more
lightweight process for plugins ? Or maybe we could use an apache httpd-like
versionning (release versions often, and then vote for status :
alpha/beta/ga).

Nicolas

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:10:03 John Casey wrote:
> I think if we're going to try to take a hard line on maintaining a
> public API, then we need to define that API in a separate artifact
> that we can place strict limits on.
thats a great idea

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
On Jul 11, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> John Casey wrote:
>> Looking at the Clirr violations, it seems that the problem is a
>> change in the number of parameters to various method in the
>> generated parser classes:
>> [ERROR]
>> org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.metadata.io.xpp3.MetadataXpp3Rea
>> der: In method 'public boolean getBooleanValue(java.lang.String,
>> java.lang.String,
>> org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.pull.XmlPullParser)' the number of
>> arguments has changed
>> [ERROR]
>> org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.metadata.io.xpp3.MetadataXpp3Rea
>> der: In method 'public java.util.Date getDateValue
>> (java.lang.String, java.lang.String,
>> org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.pull.XmlPullParser)' the number of
>> arguments has changed
>> IMO, these methods are meant to be private, and shouldn't show up
>> at all in Clirr checks. Using these methods on the generated
>> parser classes is an abuse of the spirit of that class (i.e.
>> parsing a model, not value coercion), so there shouldn't be any
>> reason for these to need to be public...unless I'm missing something.
>
> But how does a user of our artifacts know what the "spirit of that
> class" is, unless we have that written down somewhere? I agree that
> the methods should never have been made public in the first place,
> but now they are. So in order to stay compatible with the current
> API contract we should fix the issue rather than ignore it.

I would think that the name - MetadataXpp3Reader - would tip third-
party developers off to the fact that this is a parser, not a
conversion utility class. I understand that we have a problem with
what's public API and what's merely got a public modifier on its
class declaration, but it's simply not practical to think that we can
maintain the exact signature for every public interface in all of
Maven. I've already had to add methods to ArtifactMetadataSource and
MavenProjectBuilder in order to address some fairly serious bugs for
this release, not to mention a change to the (newly introduced in
2.0.9) ProjectBuilderConfiguration interface, to support the new
interpolation mechanism.

I think if we're going to try to take a hard line on maintaining a
public API, then we need to define that API in a separate artifact
that we can place strict limits on.

>> Since you mention adding a flag to Modello in the future (beyond -
>> alpha-19, I'm guessing) to allow us to set these sorts of methods
>> to private,
>
> Yes, but we can't use that flag for the 2.0.x branch, since it
> would break the compatibility with previous releases. That flag
> would be for use in trunk, i.e. the coming 2.1 releases.
>
>> I guess I'm confused as to what you're planning to add to -
>> alpha-19 to fix the above generated compatibility problems.
>
> This has already been fixed [4] in alpha-19 by adding the missing
> methods, i.e. the one's with fewer parameters, making it fully
> backwards compatible.

So, the new methods are now generated alongside the old, single-
parameter methods? In my experience with Clirr, this will still
trigger a build failure, since it considers methods *added* to the
interface as errors as well as those whose signatures change. I've
had to add exclusions for ArtifactMetadataSource and
MavenProjectBuilder along with others because of this.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that the definition of backwards
compatibility depends on whether you're implementing an interface or
merely using it. If you're only using it, then it's reasonable to
reinstate methods that people should reasonably be using, without
worrying about new methods. For outside implementations, this makes
little difference.

IMO, until we can give developers a Maven API that is blessed as
public, we're going to have these sorts of problems. I'm not sure
what the value of protecting compat with these particular methods is,
though.

> [4] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MODELLO-111

---
John Casey
Committer and PMC Member, Apache Maven
mail: jdcasey at commonjava dot org
blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/john
rss: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ejlife/john

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
[...]

private, I guess I'm confused as to what you're planning to add to

--
John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)

RE: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I feel like we don't really need to fix these methods as they are
supposed to be helper methods anyway. If the modello release is out
before we're ready to cut the RC, then we can pick it up. Otherwise, I
wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Anyone else feel strongly on this
issue?

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Done. The branch is:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/components/branches/maven-2.0.10-RC

-j

RE: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Sure, we can do that.

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

RE: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I think what he intended to say is we're going to do a code freeze and
only fix regressions that are exposed by testing of the RCs.

-john

Re: Preparing for 2.0.10 RC1

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu> wrote:

> 1)      we will stop to fix any regressions between 2.0.9 and 2.0.10

What's the rationale for this?

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)