Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kunal Gangakhedkar <kg...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/05 07:02:28 UTC

system.size_estimates - safe to remove sstables?

Hi all,

I have a 2-node cluster running cassandra 2.1.18.
One of the nodes has run out of disk space and died - almost all of it
shows up as occupied by size_estimates CF.
Out of 296GiB, 288GiB shows up as consumed by size_estimates in 'du -sh'
output.

This is while the other node is chugging along - shows only 25MiB consumed
by size_estimates (du -sh output).

Any idea why this descripancy?
Is it safe to remove the size_estimates sstables from the affected node and
restart the service?

Thanks,
Kunal

RE: system.size_estimates - safe to remove sstables?

Posted by Kunal Gangakhedkar <kg...@gmail.com>.
No, this is a different cluster.

Kunal

On 13-Mar-2018 6:27 AM, "Kenneth Brotman" <ke...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

Kunal,

Is  this the GCE cluster you are speaking of in the “Adding new DC?” thread?

Kenneth Brotman

Posted by Kenneth Brotman <ke...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Kunal,

Posted by Kunal Gangakhedkar <kg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kunal Gangakhedkar <kg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot, Chris.

Posted by Chris Lohfink <cl...@apple.com>.

Posted by Kunal Gangakhedkar <kg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris Lohfink <cl...@apple.com>.

Posted by Chris Lohfink <cl...@apple.com>.
Unless using spark or hadoop nothing consumes the data in that table (unless you have tooling that may use it like opscenter or something) so your safe to just truncate it or rm the sstables when instance offline you will be fine, if you do use that table you can then do a `nodetool refreshsizeestimates` to readd it or just wait for it to re-run automatically (every 5 min).

Chris