Posted to user@flagon.apache.org by Joshua Poore <po...@apache.org> on 2022/10/22 03:42:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Flagon

Hi All,

I’m initiating this DISCUSS thread to talk through the communities perspective (at this point in time) on Graduation as a Top Level project.

Flagon has tried to Graduate twice before first in 2018, and then in 2020. Each time, we didn’t get any strong blockers, but some tickets that we worked to burn down. Ultimately, though the graduation VOTE on general@incubator just lost steam. Here is the last thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread/svf7ckpohmt4s9cflf35m12n3w0sz46z <https://lists.apache.org/thread/svf7ckpohmt4s9cflf35m12n3w0sz46z>

Now, the Incubator is highly motivated to push projects that have been in Incubation status longer than two years to move toward graduation. Flagon is CERTAINLY on that list, and the remark is that we should have graduated.

At this point, there are certainly ways that our project and community can improve. However, the following is true:

1. The community has consistently VOTED in favor Graduation
2. Mentors have consistently been in favor of Graduation
3. The project has demonstrated stability and continued growth over the years
4. The project meets the maturity model of the incubator: https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html <https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html>
5. The Incubator is now very engaged in graduating (I suspect VOTEs on INCUBATOR won’t fizzle out)

The project and the community, like software, are never done. So the question to DISCUSS is whether the community agrees that we’re ready to self-govern and continue development outside the Incubator.

Let’s discuss over the next week, and move to a VOTE on the week of the 31 OCT 2022.

Best,

Josh

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Flagon

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
Ah, ya, Josh, reread your email, I was thinking 72 hours [ lazy consensus
], I now notice you mention wanting to kick off a new community VOTE [ per
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community_graduation_vote
] week of the 31st, no reason to rush things at this point :-).

I don't mind doing some of the admin work towards getting flagon graduated,
should that be helpful.

Posted by Joshua Poore <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Austin,

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Foley <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gedd Johnson <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gedd Johnson <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Josh,
In short… yes. I firmly
Believe the project should graduate.
Please carry my +1 through to a VOTE thread.
Thanks
lewismc

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/