Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2006/11/28 18:50:55 UTC

[VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Please vote to publish the Milestone 1 release. Please take some time
to download the distributions, review them and test them in your environment
if you have not done so already before voting.

The vote is open for at least the next 72 hours.

At least three +1 votes are required, and only the votes from Qpid committers
and mentors are binding. If the majority of all votes is positive, I will ask
one of the mentors to send a summary of this vote to the Incubator's general
list to formally request the Incubator PMC to approve the Milestone 1 release.
For your reference the Incubator release policy guidelines are available at
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

The release candidates are available at
http://people.apache.org/~rajith/qpid-release/M1/

They are named M1, once the vote is complete we will sign
the jars and publish them as the final M1 release.

Please cast your votes:
[ ] +1 Release the source and binaries as Qpid Milestone 1 (M1)

Here is my +1

Regards
Carl.

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
>> Also if were the Python and Ruby code is also in the zip we need to
>> ensure that the zip is correctly labeled.
>>
>> qpid-python....
>> qpid-ruby....
>>
>> or
>>
>> qpid-java-python-ruby

Yeah, I don't know why I included Python, Ruby in the header as they are
not in the zip that we are
voting on or any of the RC's we tested/reviewed and not part of this
vote. Sorry for that...

Carl.

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> The source zip contains release3.tar.gz which is the RC3 release
> builds hence the extra 30Meg
yes I just found that.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
Here's my vote:

[X] +1 Release the source and binaries as Qpid Milestone 1 (M1)

All seems well on my Windows (XP SP1) machine

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 10:40 -0500, Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> The .zip files are targeted at the windows community and the .tar.gz files
> are targeted at the linux/unix communities.
> Of course u can use unzip to work with zip files in linux/unix but the
> preference is for .tar.gz.

Understood - I was confused by the fact that the relase-M1.tar.gz
contained both. That would make no sense if it was part of the release
(because you need tar.gz to get to the zips) but I now understand that
it is not, its just a convenience for testers.

Aside: "Convenience for testers" is a red flag for me. If there is
anything inconvenient about downloading, installing and testing the real
kit, then we should fix the kit, not provide a convenience for testers
that won't be available to users. That's not a showstopper though, more
a suggestion for next release.

Cheers,
Alan.

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Alan,

The .zip files are targeted at the windows community and the .tar.gz files
are targeted at the linux/unix communities.
Of course u can use unzip to work with zip files in linux/unix but the
preference is for .tar.gz.

So it's like we serve our ice-cream in chocolate and vanila flavor and
people will use what they like most :)

Regards,

Rajith.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
How are these things supposed to be unpacked? The client README says to
"set the QPID_HOME environment variable to
distribution directory and add $QPID_HOME/bin to your PATH." However all
the qpid-*.tar.gz unpack to different directories.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Sorry about the mix up.
I have the RC build from scratch again at the same location

Rajith

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from this mentor.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [VOTE] Relaese Qpid Milestone 1 - (Java, Python, Ruby)

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.
On 11/28/06, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Please vote to publish the Milestone 1 release. Please take some time
> to download the distributions, review them and test them in your environment
> if you have not done so already before voting.

+1

Cliff