Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Tomasz Elendt <to...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/18 16:25:55 UTC

Backporting changes to 8.11 and 8.11.3 release

Hey,

I have a question about backporting fixes to 8.11. As I understand there are no new features being developed for 8.x but certain bug fixes are being backported. At least I see a bunch of them done by Kevin Risden ([1]). My question is: how does it work? How are the changes selected and applied? The technical aspect is also interesting as Solr 8.x has a different project structure. Are these changes applied manually?

Would you folks agree on backporting https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13219 there? If it needs to be done manually I can do it (I can prepare a new GitHub MR).

The reason I'm interested in backporting it to 8.x is that we have an issue with upgrading to Solr 9 (descried by my colleague in this thread [2]) and we would like to avoid maintaining custom fork of 8.x ourselves.

[1] like this one: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/2670
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/users@solr.apache.org/msg04714.html

Re: Backporting changes to 8.11 and 8.11.3 release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
+1 to any and all changes to be back ported. Please feel free to open PRs
where backporting isn't straight forward.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
I tried building 8.11.x recently via solr-bench and found that restlet
dependency wasn't available. In case that was not a temporary thing and you
run into that issue, please open a JIRA issue about it.

Posted by Tomasz Elendt <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

there is no code for the build job, it is just a plain stupid Jenkins
job executing the follwoing command (see log output of last build):

[solr] $ /home/jenkins/tools/ant/apache-ant-1.8.4/bin/ant -file build.xml -Dlucene.javadoc.url=https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Lucene/job/Lucene-Artifacts-8.x/javadoc/  -Dsolr.javadoc.url=https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Solr/job/Solr-Artifacts-8.11/javadoc/  -Dversion.suffix=15 prepare-release-no-sign

Most of the parameters are not needed, just do: "ant
prepare-release-no-sign"  and the collect the artifacts from the solr
build dir.

Uwe

Am 19.01.2023 um 09:57 schrieb Tomasz Elendt:
> That's understandable. Thank you. I guess I would need to build it myself anyway (the other alternative is to wait for some critical vulnerability fix that would trigger a new release I guess). I would gladly grab a -SNAPSHOT build/nightly release but you don't seem to provide those for 8.x, right?
>
> That job seems to be disabled:
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Solr/job/Solr-Artifacts-8.11/
>
> That's not a big deal, I can build it myself. Do you happen to have CI job code open-source? I did some searching but I couldn't find it.
>
> Best,
> Tomasz
>
>> On 18. Jan 2023, at 17:59, Shawn Heisey<ap...@elyograg.org>  wrote:
>>
>> On 1/18/23 09:25, Tomasz Elendt wrote:
>>> I have a question about backporting fixes to 8.11. As I understand there are no new features being developed for 8.x but certain bug fixes are being backported. At least I see a bunch of them done by Kevin Risden ([1]). My question is: how does it work? How are the changes selected and applied? The technical aspect is also interesting as Solr 8.x has a different project structure. Are these changes applied manually?
>>> Would you folks agree on backportinghttps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-13219  there? If it needs to be done manually I can do it (I can prepare a new GitHub MR).
>>> The reason I'm interested in backporting it to 8.x is that we have an issue with upgrading to Solr 9 (descried by my colleague in this thread [2]) and we would like to avoid maintaining custom fork of 8.x ourselves.
>>> [1] like this one:https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/2670
>>> [2]https://www.mail-archive.com/users@solr.apache.org/msg04714.html
>> The bar is pretty high for backporting a fix to a branch in maintenance mode, which is where 8.x is.
>>
>> Normally it only happens in these instances:
>>
>> 1) It fixes a vulnerability that has no workaround.
>> 2) The change is VERY trivial, so not likely to cause new problems, but has big benefits for most users.
>>
>> The bar is slightly higher for triggering an actual new release on the branch.  Even if someone thinks the change is minor enough for backporting, I don't think it is enough to trigger a new release.
>>
>> Without a new release, you're building Solr from source either way.  If it were me, I would maintain my own patched git repo and not expect that upstream will include it.  And I would keep a copy of the minimal patch necessary so I could always create the patched repo from scratch.
>>
>> The problems you're having with 9.x are very strange.  Would you be able to get a thread dump from a problem server while trying a reload that times out?  Maybe we can figure out what's holding it up.  Is it happening on all cores for the collection or a subset that might consist only of one core?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn

Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de
eMail:uwe@thetaphi.de

Re: Backporting changes to 8.11 and 8.11.3 release

Posted by Tomasz Elendt <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.