Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Grant Peel <gp...@thenetnow.com> on 2007/11/12 15:50:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Server Setup.

Hi all,

I have what I would call a moderately busy server. It processes about 10
million hits per month. It is a virtual server with about 150 domains on it.

I am seeing a pretty constant cpu load of about 0.5 - 2.0 on the UNIX CPU
(1-5-15 ave) method. At any given time, 5 - 20 domains are showing activity
in apachetop.

I have always wrestled with what these setting should be.

The server has 1 GB real memory.

Here are the settings I am wondering about.

StartServers 25
MinSpareServers 25
MaxSpareServers 35
MaxRequestsPerChild 500
AcceptFilter http httpready
SSLSessionCache shm:/var/tmp/SSLSessionCache
KeepAlive Off
# keKeepAliveTimeout 5
# MaxKeepAliveRequests 500
# TimeOut 30

ServerRoot "/usr/local"

# Ports
Listen *:80
Listen *:443

comments, please.

-Grant

Re: [users@httpd] Server Setup.

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have what I would call a moderately busy server. It processes about
> 10 million hits per month. It is a virtual server with about 150
> domains on it.
>
> I am seeing a pretty constant cpu load of about 0.5 - 2.0 on the UNIX
> CPU (1-5-15 ave) method. At any given time, 5 - 20 domains are showing
> activity in apachetop.
>
> I have always wrestled with what these setting should be.
>
> The server has 1 GB real memory.
>
> Here are the settings I am wondering about.
>
> StartServers 25
> MinSpareServers 25
> MaxSpareServers 35
> MaxRequestsPerChild 500
> AcceptFilter http httpready
> SSLSessionCache shm:/var/tmp/SSLSessionCache
> KeepAlive Off
> # keKeepAliveTimeout 5
> # MaxKeepAliveRequests 500
> # TimeOut 30
>
> ServerRoot "/usr/local"
>
> # Ports
> Listen *:80
> Listen *:443
>
> comments, please.
>
> -Grant

   I would take a look at /server-status?refresh=10 to see how your
server is handling the load and adjust as necessary your *Servers
directives.  But i'm no expert. I average 10k hits or less per day and
my setup is similar to yours. I have KeepAlive on.

Norm

Re: [users@httpd] Server Setup.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Nov 12, 2007 9:50 AM, Grant Peel <gp...@thenetnow.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have what I would call a moderately busy server. It processes about 10
> million hits per month. It is a virtual server with about 150 domains on it.
>
> I am seeing a pretty constant cpu load of about 0.5 - 2.0 on the UNIX CPU
> (1-5-15 ave) method. At any given time, 5 - 20 domains are showing activity
> in apachetop.
>
> I have always wrestled with what these setting should be.
>
> The server has 1 GB real memory.
>
> Here are the settings I am wondering about.
>
> StartServers 25
> MinSpareServers 25

Perhaps too high. Do you need 25 free servers at all times?

> MaxSpareServers 35
> MaxRequestsPerChild 500

Way too low unless you are facing some specific leakage problem. This
can usually be set to 0 (infinity) without problems.

> AcceptFilter http httpready
> SSLSessionCache shm:/var/tmp/SSLSessionCache
> KeepAlive Off

With a low-enough KeepAliveTimeout, you're usually better-off with KeepAlive On.

Joshua.