Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> on 2003/07/01 18:10:53 UTC

Re: Sharing memory between children

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 07:12, Clinton Gormley wrote:
> I had a look at the memory usage of my apache/mod_perl 1 processes,
> and was alarmed to find that only 3Mb of 25Mb processes was being
> shared (and that's straight after startup)
>
> I have gone to great lengths to
> (1) Preload modules in my startup file
> (2) Load shared config data during server startup so that that info
> can also be shared

Is it possible that the modules you're using do a lot of work after the
compile phase?  For example, if they use autoloading or pull in a lot of
other modules conditionally later on with require statements that will
result in things being compiled after startup and thus not shared.

You amount of shared memory seems very low to me, so I think there's
something that these modules are doing that is working against sharing.

- Perrin