Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2012/08/30 10:55:13 UTC

Any maven-shared or maven-core release pending?

Hi folks!

Is there any maven-core or maven-shared release pending?
I'd like to start with moving all maven stuff from plexus-utils to maven-shared-utils.

The reason is simple:
1.) It always got argued that we cannot just replace plexus-utils because we don't know how many plugins are using it. And people feared about side effects which could harm stability.
As we do this now in a whole new module with a new package name we can really easily upgrade that stuff to proper 2012 style and don't need to keep em 2005ish anymore ;)

2.) For implementing the incremental build stuff I need a few classes extended, and the only way we can guarantee this to be reliably available is to host this stuff in maven itself (where it was originally hosted btw - 80% of the plexus utils code is a fork of old ant/jakarta/commons stuff). And since the codehaus repo got closed down silently I have no confidence in that stuff anymore.

I locally already upgraded a few maven-shared libs without any problems. I think we can get this done in 1 week + another week of cleaning up the obsolete code as Kristian proposed in the other mail.

Wdyt? When may I start with the transition?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Any maven-shared or maven-core release pending?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1 for StAX as well. But first steps first :)

I do of course agree that we should keep xpp3 so far. Even if this has the downside that we still need to ship the old plexus-utils in maven-core.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I like it

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
I prefer you take the wagon stuff ;) I'm still a little +- on the
timing since I basically want to *do* some stuff first ;)

"2 weeks" should be interpreted in a very liberal sense.

Kristian

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Great !

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I wrote up the current status in our Wiki

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MavenSharedUtils

I've not yet finished the whole class matrix, will do that in the afternoon.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I've created

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHARED-239

to cover this.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Aleksandar Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aleksandar Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.

> yes, that is exactly the goal. E.g. instead of imlementing our own
> Base64 stuff we will either shade in parts or delegate over to
> commons-io.

Shading/delegating is the road to hell, later on it becomes easier to just add one method implementation there and the show starts. Directly using commons-* wherever needed should be the preferred way. Not to mention that it will be way more familiar for people when they see org.apache.commons and having dealt with it instead of org.apache.maven.shared.utils. At least for people like me it will not make me move away because of the 48th Base64 implementation I see this month. Even if it's simply calling commons-codec, different class/method/parameter names make it a different API.

In short I'm looking for smth. like https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals list and https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration as a detailed example.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Aleksandar Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.