Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by "David Smiley @MITRE.org" <DS...@mitre.org> on 2009/08/18 22:30:30 UTC

Updating Lucene/Solr home pages with news of the Solr book

Hello Solr devs.  I'd like to see news of my book "Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search
Server" placed on the Solr home page.  Yonik suggested that Lucene's home
page would also be suitable.  The more people that buy the book, the more
that Apache Software Foundation is supported (5% royalties).

The link to PACKT should be:
http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server?utm_source=http%3A%20%2F%2Flucene.apache.org%2Fsolr%2F&utm_medium=spons&utm_content=pod&utm_campa%20ign=mdb_000275

(yes it's kinda long; it's used to track the link click-through).

You can also see an image on PACKT's site.  You can click through to a
larger one if desired.

I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for me to write the news blurb since
I'm not a Lucene/Solr committer but I can if you'd like me to.

~ David Smiley

Re: Updating Lucene/Solr home pages with news of the Solr book

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Thanks Hoss for clarification and the specific URLs you referenced.  It's
: awkward to have the site managed in this manner instead of using some sort
: of online CMS/publishing webapp.

one man's trash, ... every CMS i've ever used had me wishing i could just
edit text files and check them in. (and this way, it's easy to include
copies of all docs in releases)

: I've updated a couple xml files and added an image.  Erik, can you simply
: accept them from me in an email to you or....

...create a jira issue, just like any other patch.

-Hoss

Re: Updating Lucene/Solr home pages with news of the Solr book

Posted by "David Smiley @MITRE.org" <DS...@mitre.org>.
Yes the book was a ton of work; more than anticipated.  Never again, though
maybe an updated edition some day maybe.

Thanks Hoss for clarification and the specific URLs you referenced.  It's
awkward to have the site managed in this manner instead of using some sort
of online CMS/publishing webapp.

I've updated a couple xml files and added an image.  Erik, can you simply
accept them from me in an email to you or....

~ David

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
David,

Best way to make this happen is to submit patches to the desired
projects websites (and of course self add the book to the wiki spots
too).

And congrats on the book!  I know it's a lot of work, more than one
expects going into it.  And the never ending Solr 1.4 release hasn't
helped either.

	Erik