Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2016/05/02 06:28:40 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0

All,

Please consider the following for Apache Commons VFS2 version 2.1 (rc0).

Maven repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1161

Artifacts:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/vfs/{binaries,source}

Staged site:
http://home.apache.org/~elserj/commons/commons-vfs-2.1/index.html

All reports are available in the provided staged Maven site.
JIRA-generated release notes are available in the dist.a.o "Artifacts"
repository. Unit tests pass and the RC was built util JDK6.

The current code is available in branches/VFS-2.1 at r1741921. This is
what will be copied to tags upon successful passing of this vote.

This vote will be open for 72-hours, 2016/05/05 0500 UTC.

   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts as version 2.1
   [ ] 0  OK, but...
   [ ] -1 I oppose these artifacts as version 2.1 because..

- Josh

Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
(So sorry, fingers sent too quick)

commons-vfs-2.1-bin.tar.gz:
MD5 fdaad280f3d3c592df048a58bfa8debd
SHA1 edfa8ac8c31e2e4b88898ac2418f9e7a7fe34324

commons-vfs-2.1-bin.zip:
MD5 951448d632ff37363c4bd0dcad3a887e
SHA1 2fd9262d349f6d62eb34912a7d56d406b7655568

My GPG key is 4677D66C

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Josh Elser wrote:
>>> (rc0).

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1161
>>
>> The e-mail should contain the hashes of the release items as the above
>> URL is transitory.
>> The hashes allow one to tie the released files back to the vote thread.
>
> Ugh, this is what happens when I try to finish this up late at night :)

Also, it's worth nothing that your email template on the website
(https://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html) does not include
instructions for this which is what I'll blame for forgetting to do this
on my own.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I do not think we want to release the sandbox because it will drag in
jar(s) that have a license that is not ASL 2 friendly IIRC.

Gary

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM, <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Agree, the sandbox profile should be in the site build enabled, but we
> cannot distribute the binaries as official release since it has
> dependencies which are not Apache approved (and potentially unfinished
> suff).
>
> Gruss
> Bernd
>
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0

Posted by ec...@zusammenkunft.net.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
>> >  mvn site:stage is used expressly for this purpose. Maven has no problems
>> >  with properly constructed multi-module projects -- it's a fallacy that Maven
>> >  cannot handle multi-module projects well.
>
> [Since Maven knows it is a multi-module project it should not need a
> different command.
> Or at least it should warn the user to start again]
>
> I guess VFS is not properly constructed then.
>
> I just tried mvn:site having cleared out the local repo of VFS stuff and I get:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project commons-vfs2-examples: Could
> not resolve dependencies for project
> org.apache.commons:commons-vfs2-examples:jar:2.1: Could not find
> artifact org.apache.commons:commons-vfs2:jar:2.1 in central
> (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) ->  [Help 1]
>
> Whereas I just tried 'mvn site' with Commons Net3.5  and it worked fine.
> It downloaded Net3.4  for Clirr, but otherwise did not need any Net jars.

That doesn't entirely surprise me, but it's definitely possible to work
around. Short-term workaround would be (probably) `mvn package site`. I
don't think site would bind to the package phase by default.

>> >  However, fixing it is a separate topic than this RC voting:)
>
> Fixing what?

Fixing any oddness in the maven site for this project. The site can be
built -- it's not a blocker for the release (at least no one has said it
needs to be yet). Thus, we should have further discussion in something
that isn't tagged as a [VOTE], IMO.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 May 2016 at 18:08, Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

>> I think we should drop sandbox from trunk entirely; that will resolve
>> the issues.
>

> I agree with you completely.
>
>> Ideally the duplicate archives should be dropped, but that is not a
>> blocker, just a nuisance when reviewing.
>

> Yeah, I'll try to figure out what's going on with that when I roll rc1. I'm
> not sure since it's not pulling directly from the apache.pom (I'm not sure
> what all the commons parent pom is doing yet).

It would be a lot easier if VFS were a single module project.
Maven does not handle multi-module projects well.
For example I just tried "mvn site" in the RC directory and it
complained about not finding various bits of VFS in the repo.
This does not happen with single module projects.

Once sandbox is removed, there's only core and examples; these could
be merged and the jars managed as NET does.
But that's maybe too much upheaval for now.

And sandbox could even be developed as a separate project (rather than
module) depending on VFS (which it does anyway).

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
>> >  Sebb -- would addressing these points in the release notes cause you to
>> >  change your -1 to a +1? I'd like to make all the changes I can ASAP and roll
>> >  the next RC. Because I haven't said it explicitly -- thanks for taking the
>> >  time to give all of the feedback that you have already.
>
> I think we should drop sandbox from trunk entirely; that will resolve
> the issues.

I agree with you completely.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 May 2016 at 01:37, Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> Josh Elser wrote:
>>
>> sebb wrote:

>>> The release vote mail really needs to include all the release-specific
>>> information that the reviewer needs to do the review.
>>>
>>> If there are caveats etc relating to the Clirr report these need to be
>>> included in the vote mail.
>>> Both to make it easier for the reviewers, and for the historical
>>> record to show that these items were considered.
>>>

>> Ok, this was not made clear to me. Thank you for letting me know. I'd
>> encourage you to update your project's website. For other projects, I
>> assume that those voting would have the context from previous
>> discussions, but acknowledge that this is not how commons operates.
>

> Sebb -- would addressing these points in the release notes cause you to
> change your -1 to a +1? I'd like to make all the changes I can ASAP and roll
> the next RC. Because I haven't said it explicitly -- thanks for taking the
> time to give all of the feedback that you have already.

I think we should drop sandbox from trunk entirely; that will resolve
the issues.

Ideally the duplicate archives should be dropped, but that is not a
blocker, just a nuisance when reviewing.

I'm not yet convinced about the Clirr errors.
I tried running the previous tests jar against the current code.
There were some errors, but these may be due to code fixes. I've not
had time to investigate fully.
But in any case, the description in changes.xml needs to explain why
the Clirr errors are not a concern.

My other concerns were about missing content in the e-mail, which can
obviously be redone without needing to rebuild.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
sebb wrote:
> http://home.apache.org/~elserj/commons/commons-vfs-2.1/index.html
> mentions Release Notes but the link points to
>
> https://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/vfs/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
>
> which of course is for2.0.
>
> It would be helpful to use the current release notes on the site.

Ok, I'll have to figure out how that gets wired up. I have no idea if
that's dynamic or static.

> The new RN at
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/vfs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> don't mention any of the Clirr issues.

Ok, I will update that then.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hrm, so I either botched the build command (highly possible) or the
source archive is screwed up and doesn't include it.

Can someone please enlighten me as to whether or not the sandbox should
actually be included?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.