Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Dan Lester <da...@danlester.com> on 2008/03/31 23:02:24 UTC

Views should be included by opensocial?

I've come across a couple of gadgets that use the 'views' feature to
work out if they're on the canvas or profile.

However, these do not explicitly require 'views' in their spec (only
'opensocial'). They work OK in Orkut et al but not in Shindig.

Should Shindig's opensocial feature include a dependency on views?

Sorry if I've missed the point. Perhaps the other containers are just
trying to be extra helpful...

Dan

Re: Views should be included by opensocial?

Posted by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com>.
I think another way of saying this is that OpenSocial doesn't depend on
"views", but that doesn't mean a given implementation *can't* include it as
an implicit dependency. When it happens this is a confusing situation, so
it's one we should probably discourage or try to remove where it occurs. It
leads to gadgets that aren't spec-compliant yet still work in certain cases.

As a quick pedantic follow-up, I'd suggest in the future moving these sorts
of questions to the OpenSocial and Gadgets Spec discussion group in our
ongoing effort to keep implementation and spec separate (
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec).

Thanks,
John

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.