Posted to user@aries.apache.org by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/01 18:56:30 UTC

application.mf and eab

Hi,

The eab file of an Aries application seems similar to what we have in J2EE
world with EAR file.

The Aries web page mentions that :

"An Aries application isolates the OSGi services offered by its contained
modules so that they are not visible outside the application unless
explicitly configured to be exported from the application"

My questions are :
- How Aries is able to isolate OSGI services offered by its contained
modules ?
- How Aries is able to create this "container" ? Is it part of the OSGI EE
specification ?

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Senior Enterprise Architect (J2EE, .NET, SOA)
Apache Camel - Karaf - ServiceMix Committer
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com |  Twitter :
http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard | Skype: cmoulliard

Re: application.mf and eab

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think you mean an EBA file, and yes it is similar to the .ear
concept. I think work is going on in the alliance on standardising
something similar, which is being prototyped in the subsystem project.
The Application.mf is feeding into that, but as with any
standardisation effort things change.

Aries 0.2 is not able to isolate OSGi services, however work is going
on in the trunk on this via the JIRAs ARIES-359 and ARIES-361. This is
based on using the equinox composite bundle prototype. At some point I
hope something will be standardized which will allow this to work
across framework implementations.

I hope this helps
Alasdair

--