Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/12 17:38:37 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS} Apache NetBeans Gradle Patch 1 Release

Dear all,

I was able to assemble something. Please check it and share your
thought:
https://builds.apache.org/job/netbeans-gradle-patch-release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/netbeans-11.0-gradle-patch-1-source.zip

It is not the final one though.

In order to build that you need to download the 11.0 sources and
overwrite the files from the patch source. The actual patch is a bit
more than it normally should as it contains another PR-1206 (
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1206) in order to be able to be
buildable with the recent infrastructure changes around netbeans.org.

So what's remaining:

  * Increase the impl versiosns of the changed modules
  * Extend the build instructions in README.MD
  * Call for a vote
  * Update the hosted patches:
     1. I'd overwrite the nbms in the release area of 11.0
     2. Wait 24 hours for the mirrors to pick up
     3. Update the changed sections in update.xml.gz on the netbeans-vm
  * Send announcement to the netbeans announcement list, as it is just a
    patch, I do not think we need to announce it on global Apache level,
    do we?

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 25 May 2019, 08:55 Tushar Joshi, <tu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that we have to remove this incubator word from this page.

AFAIK we keep this because we were still in incubation for NB 11.0?!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonio,

After going through your points, I agree on keeping that page as it is.

with regards
    Tushar

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Tushar,

El 25/5/19 a las 9:55, Tushar Joshi escribió:
> Hi Team,
> [...]
>
>     Unzip incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip
>     <https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-11.0/incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip>
> in
>     a directory of your liking.
>     2.
>
>     cd to that directory, and then run ant to build the Apache NetBeans IDE.
>     Once built you can run the IDE by typing ./nbbuild/netbeans/bin/netbeans
>
> I believe that we have to remove this incubator word from this page.  Where
> should be the new link point for Apache NetBeans 11 sources?

AFAIK there's no "netbeans-11.0-source.zip" without the "incubator" part
anywhere in the Apache Mirrors.

Anyway Apache 11.0 was released when NetBeans was still in the Apache
Incubator, so I don't see why the "incubator" prefix has to be removed.

I think that the Apache Incubator Project is one of the greatests
achievements of the ASF. A place where people can learn and grow to
become full fledged Apache TLP projects. I'm grateful to the Apache
Incubator Project for having helped us during the last years.

In my mind having "incubator" in NetBeans 11.0 is a Great Thing,
something to be proud of, and not having it in 12.0 is also a great
thing, a signal we're big enough to break things ourselves!

Kind regards,
Antonio

Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Team,

On the site at page
https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb110/nb110.html#_building_from_source
the mirror link for downloading the source ZIP refers to incubator

The wording on this page also contains:

Building from source

To build Apache NetBeans (incubating) 11.0 from source you need:

   1.

   Oracle’s Java 8 or Open JDK v8.
   2.

   Apache Ant 1.10 or greater (https://ant.apache.org).

Once you have everything installed then:

   1.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Right now it is the actual whole files that have been changed. In
contrast of git patch it does not support file deletions, but as this is
just a patch there is no whole file deletion in there. I've thought that
reviewing simple files is probably simpler, than reviewing an actual patch.

So the build instructions would be something like:

wget http://mirror.metrocast.net/apache/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-11.0/incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip
wget https://builds.apache.org/job/netbeans-gradle-patch-release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/netbeans-11.0-gradle-patch-1-source.zip
mkdir netbeans -src
unzip incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip -d netbeans-src
unzip -o netbeans-11.0-gradle-patch-1-source.zip -d netbeans-src
cd netbeans-src
ant

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.