Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2009/07/23 02:30:29 UTC

Documentation improvements leading up to 2.9

Hey everybody,

It looks like we might actually see Lucene 2.9.0 get released "soon" ...
there are less then 20 open issues remaining, and several of those are
just waiting on one blocker.

Now's the time when everybody who has been asking "when is 2.9 going to be
released?!?!?!?!?!" has an opportunity to chip in and help make it a good
release: by reviewing documentation.

The javadocs are built every night off the trunk.  The more people we have
looking at the new docs *now* and checking them for mistakes (ommisions,
contradictions, typos, etc...) the better the release will be, and the
more likely we are to spot problems *before* the release...

    http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/

...in particular, a lot of new APIs have been introduced since 2.4, and a
lot of old APIs have been deprecated, so having users spot check that the
docs for hte new APIs, and the @deprecation docs for the old APIs, make
sense is particularly important.

If you spot any problems, please open a bug in Jira.  Patches are the
best way to make suggested improvements, but even just opening an issue
that says "Javadocs for FooBarBaz.methodName say .... but should say ..."
are helpful.  (if you don't know how to open a Jira issue, you can always
just reply to this message with your feedback as a last resort)

-Hoss