Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Johann Spies <js...@sun.ac.za> on 2005/02/18 10:29:50 UTC

Whitelising IP's?

I have received the following request:

"We request to be on your whitelist.  We are double opt-in only.

We operate using several different upstream providers, and the
complete list of our ip address blocks can be found at
"

Apparently they provide mailing-list services and our spamfilter has
refused some of their mailing-list-related mail.

As far as I understand spamassassin's whitelisting it does not work
with "ip address blocks" but with the sender addresses or domains.

If I would do what this person requested I can do it in exiscan by
just not referring email coming from that IP range to spamassassin.
That opens up a gateway for people who spoof thos IP addresses to
bypass the spamfilter.

Now my questions:

How would administrators on this list would handle a request like
this?

Should I ask particulars on a mailing list basis to do the
whitelisting?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned
      every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on
      him the iniquity of us all."         Isaiah 53:6