Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Petr Kuzel <Pe...@netbeans.com> on 2000/12/18 16:59:18 UTC

Xerces_J_2 feature proposal

Hi,

  I would propose a new feature controlling entity notifications via XNI.
Our piece of code need to be informed about character reference occurrences
in an input document. I.e. following XMLDocumentHandler callback is needed:

  public void startEntity(String name, String publicId, String systemId,
                          String encoding) throws SAXException;

  Looking at XMLDocumentScanner code I see that character references as well
as 5 well known entity references are silently passed to XNI interface just
via characters() method.

  Having this feature turned on the scanner should report in all cases:

	fDocumentHandler.startEntity(...);
	fDocumentHandler.characters(...);
	fDocumentHandler.endEntity(...);

  Name of passed character entity could be simply starting with "#" e.g. "#10",
  all other parameters would be null.

  Proposed feature name: http://apache.org/xml/features/xni/notify-all-entities/

  I propose it since I have not found existing feature solving it.

  Does it make sense?
  Ccc

--
<address>