Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com> on 2016/07/20 00:37:25 UTC

[Proposal] Support storing apps in a Configuration Package

Hi All,

Apex supports configuration package, separates application package from the
actual configuration. (http://docs.datatorrent.com/configuration_packages/)

We want to enhance the configuration package by adding support to "add
Apps" (json format).

UseCase: Multiple users sharing the same app package, but have a different
view of the golden copy of the app package.

Note: This feature is requested by an Apex user.

Thanks

Re: [Proposal] Support storing apps in a Configuration Package

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense. +1

Regards,
Ashwin.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com>
wrote:

> Configuration packages will contain JSON apps.
> During an app launch users can choose to see and launch only the apps
> present in the Config package.
>
> It is like a hub and spoke model, single AppPackage and multiple custom
> views.
>
> Initial work is here,
> https://github.com/apache/apex-core/pull/360
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 5:02 PM Sasha Parfenov <sa...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Sounds promising.  Perhaps you can elaborate if it mean that we're adding
> > JSON apps to the Configuration Packages spec?  Or that we're providing
> > support to link Configuration Packages to existing App Package Apps?  Or
> > something else?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sasha
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Apex supports configuration package, separates application package from
> > the
> > > actual configuration. (
> > http://docs.datatorrent.com/configuration_packages/
> > > )
> > >
> > > We want to enhance the configuration package by adding support to "add
> > > Apps" (json format).
> > >
> > > UseCase: Multiple users sharing the same app package, but have a
> > different
> > > view of the golden copy of the app package.
> > >
> > > Note: This feature is requested by an Apex user.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Ashwin.

Re: [Proposal] Support storing apps in a Configuration Package

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.
+1. Good idea

Thks
Amol

Posted by Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Sasha Parfenov <sa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
Sandesh,

Can you describe the use case a little more?

Is it about different users adding/viewing their own apps to the same copy
of app package? Or is it a base copy of app package that different users
can take and start working off of and adding more apps?

Regards,
Ashwin.

wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Apex supports configuration package, separates application package from the
> actual configuration. (http://docs.datatorrent.com/configuration_packages/
> )
>
> We want to enhance the configuration package by adding support to "add
> Apps" (json format).
>
> UseCase: Multiple users sharing the same app package, but have a different
> view of the golden copy of the app package.
>
> Note: This feature is requested by an Apex user.
>
> Thanks

Ashwin.

Re: [Proposal] Support storing apps in a Configuration Package

Posted by Bright Chen <br...@datatorrent.com>.
+1

Posted by "Pradeep A. Dalvi" <pr...@apache.org>.
+1