Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Alex Wang <aw...@crossview.com> on 2008/08/06 20:19:16 UTC

Urgent Help Please: "Resource temporarily unavailable"

Hi Everyone,

We have an application built using Lucene 1.9. The app allows incremental updating to the index while other users are searching the same index. Today, some search suddenly returns nothing when we know it should return some hits. This does not happen all the time. Sometimes the search succeeded. When checking the logs, I found the following error during searching:

Parameter[0]: java.io.IOException: Resource temporarily unavailable

When this error occurred, there were 2 other users deleting documents from the same index. The deletions seemed to succeed, but the search failed.

I have no clue what could have caused such error.  Unfortunately there is no further info in the logs. Can someone please shed some light on this? Thanks.

Alex

Re: Urgent Help Please: "Resource temporarily unavailable"

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Aug 6, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Alex Wang wrote:

> Sorry about the double posting. After sending the first email I got
> a delivery failure notice from support@magentanews.com. I resent it
> just to be sure.
>
> Unfornately there is no stack trace in the log. The error object was
> passed to log4j.error(...), but no stack trace was printed out.
>
> I thought both IndexReader and IndexWriter are thread safe. Beside,
> I have no explicit multi-threading in our own code.

They are thread-safe.  Not really sure what else to go on.  Sorry.

-Grant

RE: Urgent Help Please: "Resource temporarily unavailable"

Posted by Alex Wang <aw...@crossview.com>.
Sorry about the double posting. After sending the first email I got a delivery failure notice from support@magentanews.com. I resent it just to be sure.

Unfornately there is no stack trace in the log. The error object was passed to log4j.error(...), but no stack trace was printed out.

I thought both IndexReader and IndexWriter are thread safe. Beside, I have no explicit multi-threading in our own code.

Thanks again!

Alex Wang
CrossView Inc.
Office: 416-281-6888
Email: awang@crossview.com
Web:   http://www.crossview.com

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.