Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2022/01/06 15:38:01 UTC

GitHub issues - initial templates and labels

Hi All,

Following the lazy consensus thread I've started work on porting
Airflow's issue forms for NetBeans, making changes where necessary.

There is an in progress PR at https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3415

I've set up a temporary repository so these can be looked at
https://github.com/codelerity/netbeans-issues-test/issues/new  Please
have a look, and feel free to open test issues if you want.  Review
via the PR if necessary.

I'll contact infra@ about enabling discussions - links to that will
404 at the moment.

I need to configure labelling - this will be loosely based on
Airflow's again ( https://github.com/apache/airflow/labels )
particularly with prefixes.  I won't enable automation in the above
PR, but we can as we go.

One key label that will be applied to all user submitted issues is
needs:triage.  Once we enable, if you're the first committer to notice
an issue with that label, please take a look at it!  Either verify
it's a reproducible issue and remove the triage label, ask the
reporter for more information and label with pending-response, move
the issue to discussions if it's incomplete, or close if it's invalid.

## Areas

In terms of other labels, I'm planning to prefix all the existing
section labels with area: eg.

area:Gradle
area:LSP

## Priorities

priority:critical
priority:high

I'm only thinking of adding those two for now.  With critical reserved
for "must address in next release" issues / PRs.  Rather than low
priority, maybe we can add a contribution-welcome or similar?

## Kinds of issue

kind:bug
kind:feature
kind:meta

The meta issue label is applied by the issue form reserved for
NetBeans committers.  That's there for overarching task tracking now
there's no need for issues for PRs.

## Other key labels

needs:triage - requires attention from a committer - you see it, you
handle it! :-)
needs:discussion - requires discussion on this mailing list
pending-response - requires more information from the reporter
(Airflow has automation to close these off automatically after a
period of time)

Any thoughts or concerns, please speak up.  I'll look to merge /
complete this first stage early next week.

Thanks,

Neil

Re: GitHub issues - initial templates and labels

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, 19:30 Eric Bresie, <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So would “critical” be used to address  “show / release stopper” level
> issues ...

Yes, basically replacing how we (say we) treat blocker now.

> Is there a “default” for this?

No label (for priority, other labels are added by the form)

Given the change many might always assumes it “critical”
> ;-).

Tough! Lots of reporters think their issue is critical or a blocker on JIRA
currently, irrespective of our criteria. Non-committers don't get to add
labels. All these labels are for committer use only.

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
So would “critical” be used to address  “show / release stopper” level
issues or just the severity in general?

And semantics I’m sure but is the for “in next release” does this mean a
“coming release” or some “future release”?

Is there a “default” for this?

Should there be some sort of “New” or “None” to imply it has not been
determine yet?  Given the change many might always assumes it “critical”
;-). Although suppose this would potentially result in a lot of un-defined
severities,

------------------------------
Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 06.01.22 17:09, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 15:52, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 06.01.22 16:38, Neil C Smith wrote:
>>> ## Priorities
>>>
>>> priority:critical
>>> priority:high
>>>
>>> I'm only thinking of adding those two for now.  With critical reserved
>>> for "must address in next release" issues / PRs.  Rather than low
>>> priority, maybe we can add a contribution-welcome or similar?
>>>
>> I think there should be a low priority. There are little annoyances or
>> "quality of life" issues which should not be set to high prio. (which
>> would happen if there is no other choice)
>>
>> contribution-welcome: could this be a label?
> Bear in mind, the default would be no priority label.  We only need to
> put a priority label on an issue where there's a need to track it.

ah i see. I forgot for a moment that everything is a label now. This
makes sense of course! No need for low.

-michael

Re: GitHub issues - initial templates and labels

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 15:52, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06.01.22 16:38, Neil C Smith wrote:
> > ## Priorities
> >
> > priority:critical
> > priority:high
> >
> > I'm only thinking of adding those two for now.  With critical reserved
> > for "must address in next release" issues / PRs.  Rather than low
> > priority, maybe we can add a contribution-welcome or similar?
> >
> I think there should be a low priority. There are little annoyances or
> "quality of life" issues which should not be set to high prio. (which
> would happen if there is no other choice)
>
> contribution-welcome: could this be a label?

Bear in mind, the default would be no priority label.  We only need to
put a priority label on an issue where there's a need to track it.

My thinking was that there's a need to mark things that are lower than
normal priority where we are basically saying we would accept a fix,
but it's unlikely someone here is going to do it any time soon - ie.
encouraging the reporter or others who do consider it a priority to
work on it?  So yes, "contribution-welcome" was suggested as a label.
It seemed a little friendlier than telling someone their issue isn't
important to us! :-)

That reminds me that Geertjan and I had a conversation a while back
about the little annoyances that are quick fixes being labelled
"papercuts" along the lines of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/One%20Hundred%20Papercuts/Mission

Best wishes,

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 17:07, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but IMHO the focus should be how
> > to streamline fixes from drive-by contributors. For this we need a
> > form, where people can document, that they agree to the donation
> > without having an ICLA on file.
>
> Opening a PR against the NetBeans repository is (usually) enough in
> itself!  Clause #5 of the ASL.

And incidentally, we could follow Airflow's use of a pull request
template too which could make this more explicit - eg.
https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/.github/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md

I did consider adding to this PR but decided to consider separately.

And speaking of encouraging drive-by contribution, compare also -

https://github.com/apache/airflow/contribute
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/contribute

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 16:41, Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:
> Do we really want to encourage people to file issues?! My take on the
> current situation is, that there is no one really working on fixing
> issues, apart from the issues relevant to them (which is OK!).

Actually we're trying to discourage those who are not engaged enough ...

> While I like the form, I don't see an improvement relative to JIRA. As
> long as people can file issues and then go away, we will end up with
> the same mess as bugzilla and jira.

Don't consider the form in isolation to the process.  JIRA as we
currently have it set up is not working, and utterly useless for
managing releases.  The plan as was previously outlined in the lazy
consensus thread involves adopting as much as possible Airflow's model
- learning from how another ASF project has addressed these problems.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=191332632

Worth reading the whole section on contributor recruitment.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 9 Jan 2022, 15:34 Matthias Bläsing, <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>
wrote:

> So people asking for an open tracker have to answer the question:
>
> - Who triages issues?
> - Who ensures bugfixes are tied to their issue reports?
> - Who ensures that issues are checked if they are gone in newer
> versions?

Every committer, as well as the community on this list, or we give up on
having an open issue tracker. It's that simple. It's not someone else's job.

A key reason for bringing it into the same system as the code review,
increase the amount of required information, allow for non reproducible
issues and user questions to be converted into discussions, not need
tickets for PRs, etc. is to try and make it more useful and less time
consuming for us all to manage.

Airflow have managed to make this work better for them. Yes it's about
being open and welcoming, but it's also about pre-filtering incomplete
information and encouraging contributions.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Christian,

my point is, that a welcoming issue tracker is an illusion for users.
The reality is, that most issue reports will be unanswered and ignored.
That is a reality now and was a reality when NetBeans was driven by
Oracle.

While it would nice if a shitload of people here would only wait for
issues to come in and fix, it is far from reality.

So people asking for an open tracker have to answer the question:

- Who triages issues?
- Who ensures bugfixes are tied to their issue reports?
- Who ensures that issues are checked if they are gone in newer
versions?

This is my opinion, but I won't stay in the way of people wanting to
make people feel welcome. These people just have to understand, that
they have to deal with their capacity and can't require others to
follow or add more time.

Greetings

Matthias

AW: GitHub issues - initial templates and labels

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 16:41, Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but IMHO the focus should be how
> to streamline fixes from drive-by contributors. For this we need a
> form, where people can document, that they agree to the donation
> without having an ICLA on file. That way we can source more people
> working on the code base and not lose time with useless discussion
> about legal mergability.

As discussed elsewhere, I don't see a particular need for this, in the
sense that it's already covered by section 5 of the Apache License
(below).  I don't see any way someone can submit a PR without already
being covered by that?!

However, from an information perspective, it might be nice to be more
upfront on certain things for drive-by contributors?

We could do a PR template along the lines of
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3431

From ASL

"""
5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work
by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of
this License, without any additional terms or conditions.
Notwithstanding the above, nothing herein shall supersede or modify
the terms of any separate license agreement you may have executed
with Licensor regarding such Contributions.
"""

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 16:05, Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/6/22 09:38, Neil C Smith wrote:
> > Following the lazy consensus thread I've started work on porting
> > Airflow's issue forms for NetBeans, making changes where necessary.
> >
> > There is an in progress PR at https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3415
>
> The bug report form is excellent. It looks welcoming, like we really
> want people to file issues. The last thing you want is for someone to
> start filing an issue, then give up in exasperation because it's more
> complicated than their tax returns. I was particularly impressed by "we
> are happy to guide you in the contribution process".

Yes, I think Airflow really nailed it!  I've tried to keep as much as
possible of their wording and structure while changing where needed.
I also think they balance the complexity well - not a tax return, but
also not easy to make a drive-by log dump with no context!

If you want to, compare with
https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/new?assignees=&labels=kind%3Abug%2Carea%3Acore&template=airflow_bug_report.yml

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: Aw: Re: GitHub issues - initial templates and labels

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022, 20:42 Eric Bresie, <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (2) it is different for a "Feature",

Yes, the forms are quite different.

Neil

Re: Aw: Re: GitHub issues - initial templates and labels

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
I added a few comments to the initial test issue [1].  Not sure if this is
of help.

Not sure if I missed it or if something was done by others, but I created a
test ticket for a Feature [2].    I didn't see any of the suggested
"fields" (i.e. areas, priorities, etc.) on the create page; how do the
labels and other attributes get set?

Is this
(1) by design (i.e. these may not be included on initial creation but will
be added following triage by people with specific permissions),
(2) it is different for a "Feature", or
(3) something else is going on

In the template, would it be worth adding a link to a confluence page for
"help documentation" on how this is expected to be used?

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

[1] https://github.com/codelerity/netbeans-issues-test/issues/1
[2] https://github.com/codelerity/netbeans-issues-test/issues/4

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <Ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey Matthias,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benjamin Asbach <ne...@impl.it>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 15:38, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'll contact infra@ about enabling discussions - links to that will
> 404 at the moment.

Just a note that, if you haven't noticed already, GitHub Discussions
is now enabled.  It seems to have been a surprise to some, even though
it was explicitly part of this plan from the beginning! :-)

As this required manual setup, I had this done in advance of merging
the issues enabling PR to check linking is working correctly.

This is obviously for user facing discussion - anything for this
(dev@) list should stay on this list.  There is overlap with users@ so
as was previously brought up, we should review how that goes /
relative usage in time.  I also have a pending question with infra
about configuration of archiving for discussions.  Issues and
discussion archiving might warrant a separate (and probably little
subscribed!) email list to other things?

> I've set up a temporary repository so these can be looked at
> https://github.com/codelerity/netbeans-issues-test/issues/new

Just realised that should have been
https://github.com/codelerity/netbeans-issues-test/issues/new/choose

I assume the link took people without admin rights to the right place though?!

Best wishes,

Neil