Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nookala Satish Kumar <no...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/12 18:56:41 UTC

What does Harmony mean to me?

Hi,

As a Java developer what does Harmony mean to me? By seeing all the
discussion on JVM. GNU Classpath, RVM etc. etc. I am getting confused.

I think what Harmony means to Java developers is, it would be just
like the Sun JDK (J2SE), but FREE as in FREEDOM.

  1. Easy to download and install
  2. Available for easy download for platforms like *nix, Windows, and Mac
  3. Tools to compile the Java programs, javac
  4. Tools to run the Java programs, java
  5. Tools like rmic, rmid etc.
  6. And all other tools which are part of standard JDK
  7. A separate JRE download
  8. License to bundle as a default Java JVM on Linux

Does this all make sense? What I think is that Harmony must be
available for atleast all the major platforms like *nix, Windows and
Mac. And the development of Harmony must be done parallelly for all
these. Once it is release, it must be like a grand gift to all Java
developers around the workd, irrespective of their development
platform.

Once this is done, then the great people of Harmony can concentrate on
developing (or branching) of sepeate JVMs with small footprint etc.
for mobile phones etc. (like Sun's J2ME).

Regards,
Satish.

--
|| Satyam Vada, Dharmam Chara ||
|| Matru Devo Bhava, Pitru Devo Bhava ||

Get Firefox. The browser you can trust.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=43194&amp;t=1

Re: What does Harmony mean to me?

Posted by Steven Martin <st...@gmail.com>.
Satish, some great points there.  I would also add that we expect to
meet or exceed the current performance levels of the current JVMs.