Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ag...@comcast.net on 2008/03/16 07:27:21 UTC

[users@httpd] segmentation fault when starting httpd 2.0.48 on CentOS 5.1

I am trying to install apache http 2.0.48 on a CentOS host 5.1.   I have run a yum remove httpd before I begin the new httpd install to avoid version conflicts.  Using yum I then installed the GCC 3.4.6 compiler and the gcc ++ development package.  Configure appears to run without errors as does the make and make install.  However, trying to start the httpd server fails immediately.  It fails so quickly that  logging is not enabled so I don't see any messages in the access or error logs.  I also don't see anything in the system logs for CentOS.

I have tried to run the configtest with apachectl and also passed -t to httpd with the same results, something very close to:   line 65 15428 segmentation fault  %HTTPD -k $ARGV
I get a similar message when trying to start the process with httpd using something like
/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -f /usr/local/apache2/config/httpd.conf -k start

I have also tried passing -x or -X to httpd but I get the same segmentation fault.

Thanks in advance for any tips you may be able to provide.

-Angus