Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Mahajan, Neeraj" <ne...@ebay.com> on 2007/06/15 02:50:45 UTC

Getting EOF exceptions while executing wordcount example

Hi,

I am trying to setup hadoop on two machines running solaris 10. After
fixing the scripts in bin to conform to bourne shell scripting standard,
I was able to start the jobtracker and tasktrackers. I am not using
HDFS. All the paths are common on all the machines as they are available
via NFS. I have made sure that the tmp directories are mapped to
seperate locations for both the machines. When I execute the wordcount
example, I get following errors

2007-06-14 16:51:57,605 WARN org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker:
getMapOutput(task_0001_m_000018_0,5) failed :
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:178)
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readLong(DataInputStream.java:380)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker$MapOutputServlet.doGet(TaskTracker.
java:1911)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:427)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicationH
andler.java:475)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:567)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1565)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(WebApplicationCon
text.java:635)
        at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1517)
        at
org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:814)
        at
org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:981)
        at
org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:831)
        at
org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:244
)
        at
org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:357)
        at
org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:534)

These errors come when map task status is 100% and reduce is 76%. After
this the the map % drops to 95 and again both increase. This happens a
few times and then the job completes.
I have increased the number of tasks per node as well as the tasks per
job. Any idea what the problem is?

Neeraj

RE: Getting EOF exceptions while executing wordcount example

Posted by "Mahajan, Neeraj" <ne...@ebay.com>.
Got it!
My mistake. Had put "mapred.reduce.tasks" in hadoop-site.xml with
different values. I moved this parameter to mapred-default.xml and the
problem vanished.

~ Neeraj