Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com> on 2000/12/14 00:24:29 UTC

[OT] Re: Mod_perl tutorials

At 23:31 13/12/2000 +0100, Stas Bekman wrote:
>> A quick check of nsiregistry.com shows that modperlnews.(com|org|net)
are all
>> available.
>
>Too bad for you/us. You can be sure that when you will go to register any
>of the above they will be all taken by a reseller. I've mentioned a few
>times on this list that one should do atomic buys (tm). If you check and
>don't buy in the same assembly opcode, someone else snoops on your search
>and will do it for you. The only way to get a domain nowadays is to
>check-buy atomically. I have enough examples of people who were
>burned. I've lost stas.com 2.5 years ago, because it took me 1 day to
>decide that I want to spend $$ on it, well it was taken the next day...

That's all too true. For certain Network Solutions have a service that
warns some people that have paid (a lot) when someone checks an address
that doesn't exist yet. They offered it to one of the companies I worked
for once so I know for sure. This doesn't mean that modperlnew will be
taken within hours but one should be very careful when using registrars'
whois/dns check tools. If you could want it, buy it immediately. Maybe some
registrars are not that kind of bandits, but it's hard to know. When the
revolution comes, we should probably hang most of those nic people ;)

-- robin b.
Immature poets imitate, mature poets steal. -- T.S. Eliot

Re: [OT] Re: Mod_perl tutorials

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 23:03 13/12/2000 -0500, Drew Taylor wrote:
>> That's all too true. For certain Network Solutions have a service that
>> warns some people that have paid (a lot) when someone checks an address
>> that doesn't exist yet. They offered it to one of the companies I worked
>> for once so I know for sure.
>
>Why does this not surprise me? Was it before or after Verisign bought them?

Before, but I don't think that it's going to change much.

>Well, I have registered (through an OpenSRS reseller I might add)
>modperlnews.com and .org. If anyone is interested in using them, let me know
>and I can get the DNS taken care of.

That's really cool :)

-- robin b.
James Joyce -- an essentially private man who wished his total indifference
to public notice to be universally recognized. -- Tom Stoppard

Re: [OT] Re: Mod_perl tutorials

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Drew Taylor wrote:

> > This doesn't mean that modperlnew will be
> > taken within hours but one should be very careful when using registrars'
> > whois/dns check tools. If you could want it, buy it immediately. Maybe some
> > registrars are not that kind of bandits, but it's hard to know. When the
> > revolution comes, we should probably hang most of those nic people ;)
>
> Well, I have registered (through an OpenSRS reseller I might add)
> modperlnews.com and .org. If anyone is interested in using them, let me know
> and I can get the DNS taken care of.
>
> Matt, are you interested? If not, maybe I'll start my own advocacy site.  :-P

I'm quite happy for people to point other domain names at take23.org, the
IP address is 194.70.26.133. Just let me know though because its a name
based vhost system so I have to hack httpd.conf too.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: [OT] Re: Mod_perl tutorials

Posted by Drew Taylor <dr...@openair.com>.
Robin Berjon wrote:

> At 23:31 13/12/2000 +0100, Stas Bekman wrote:
> >> A quick check of nsiregistry.com shows that modperlnews.(com|org|net)
> are all
> >> available.
> >
> >Too bad for you/us. You can be sure that when you will go to register any
> >of the above they will be all taken by a reseller. I've mentioned a few
> >times on this list that one should do atomic buys (tm). If you check and
> >don't buy in the same assembly opcode, someone else snoops on your search
> >and will do it for you. The only way to get a domain nowadays is to
> >check-buy atomically. I have enough examples of people who were
> >burned. I've lost stas.com 2.5 years ago, because it took me 1 day to
> >decide that I want to spend $$ on it, well it was taken the next day...
>
> That's all too true. For certain Network Solutions have a service that
> warns some people that have paid (a lot) when someone checks an address
> that doesn't exist yet. They offered it to one of the companies I worked
> for once so I know for sure.

Why does this not surprise me? Was it before or after Verisign bought them?

> This doesn't mean that modperlnew will be
> taken within hours but one should be very careful when using registrars'
> whois/dns check tools. If you could want it, buy it immediately. Maybe some
> registrars are not that kind of bandits, but it's hard to know. When the
> revolution comes, we should probably hang most of those nic people ;)

Well, I have registered (through an OpenSRS reseller I might add)
modperlnews.com and .org. If anyone is interested in using them, let me know
and I can get the DNS taken care of.

Matt, are you interested? If not, maybe I'll start my own advocacy site.  :-P

--
Drew Taylor
Software Engineer
OpenAir.com - Making Business a Breeze!