Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Vasco Visser <va...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/03 01:47:38 UTC

Re: Pairwise Comparison of Large Datasets

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing. The approach you take is similar to how Pig
implements the cross product (see the cross section in:
http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9781449302641/advanced_pig_latin.html)

What you'll probably find interesting is this article:
Processing Theta-Joins using MapReduce
(http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.229.1890&rep=rep1&type=pdf)
Which features a similar grid like approach, but with some smart tricks.

Also you probably like Jimmy Lin's articles on pairwise similarity in
MR (http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~jimmylin/publications/index.html).

best, Vasco