Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com> on 2007/06/14 03:06:21 UTC

S2 S1 Tiles2 Tiles1 Question

I have a large app using S2 with Tiles2 and S1 with Tiles1 intermingled.
Eventually, this is going to cause problems, especially when I want to
include pages rendered by T1 inside pages rendered by T2.  Now that Tiles2
can function independently of Struts, is it feasible to start using T2 with
S1 by removing the 'struts-tiles1.3.8.jar' file and deploying the S1 / Tiles
part of the app using the Standalone Tiles-2 method.

A secondary question arises, why not do the same thing with the S2 part of
the app.  Why do we need/want the 'struts2-tiles-plugin-2.0.8.jar'
functionality - what does that route give me that the non-Struts Tiles usage
wouldn't.

A third question (but maybe for the Tiles or JSF forums) is, what would be
needed to make this work with the JSF (myFaces) part of the app.

- Ray Clough

Re: S2 S1 Tiles2 Tiles1 Question

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/6/14, Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com>:

> I have a large app using S2 with Tiles2 and S1 with Tiles1 intermingled.
> Eventually, this is going to cause problems, especially when I want to
> include pages rendered by T1 inside pages rendered by T2.  Now that Tiles2
> can function independently of Struts, is it feasible to start using T2
> with
> S1 by removing the 'struts-tiles1.3.8.jar' file and deploying the S1 /
> Tiles
> part of the app using the Standalone Tiles-2 method.

Maybe this can help
http://tiles.apache.org/migration/index.html

A secondary question arises, why not do the same thing with the S2 part of
> the app.  Why do we need/want the 'struts2-tiles-plugin-2.0.8.jar'
> functionality - what does that route give me that the non-Struts Tiles
> usage
> wouldn't.

Essentially, a result type "tiles", that allows to forward directly to a
Tiles definition (just like S1/T1).

A third question (but maybe for the Tiles or JSF forums) is, what would be
> needed to make this work with the JSF (myFaces) part of the app.

You could take a look at Shale-Tiles integration, though I guess that only
the SVN (trunk and 1.0 branch) version supports a released version of Tiles
2.
http://shale.apache.org/shale-tiles/index.html

Antonio