Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/07/15 06:51:46 UTC

[VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Both Nicola and I are aligned in indicating that there is not much else
that we can teach to those guys and that nobody here seems to have a
problem with it, I would ask for a vote.

I'm not completely up-to-date with the procedures, so, please, don't
flame me if this is not the right way of doing it, but I would like to
start a vote on exiting incubation.

Should it be done here or on the PMC?

--
Stefano, resending to the appropriate mail list and without the forward
wrapper that might mislead people.

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Since the proposal is to exit as a TLP, I suggest that you move quickly to
>prepare the proposal for the Board on the assumption that you'll be able to
>submit it.

ok. By any chance do you have a link to such a proposal from another already
exited project (e.g. geronimo)?

Thanks for your help

Michi

>  In the meantime, people should be casting votes.
>
>Having had, and spent, some time this afternoon to review the Lenya mailing
>lists in brief, as well as based upon the recommendations of Stefano and
>Nicola Ken, I would be +1 for Lenya to graduate.
>
>	--- Noel

Michael Wechner

RE: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> does the silence of the incubator list mean just
> do whatever we feel like ;-)

No.  I can't speak for everyone, but in at least some cases, the past few
days have seen a number of people distracted on events elsewhere.  That
aside, perhaps people did not realize that this is, in fact, a vote.

Since the proposal is to exit as a TLP, I suggest that you move quickly to
prepare the proposal for the Board on the assumption that you'll be able to
submit it.  In the meantime, people should be casting votes.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Both Nicola and I are aligned in indicating that there is not much
> else that we can teach to those guys and that nobody here seems to
> have a problem with it, I would ask for a vote.
>
> I'm not completely up-to-date with the procedures, so, please, don't
> flame me if this is not the right way of doing it, but I would like to
> start a vote on exiting incubation.

can we start one or does the silence of the incubator list mean just
do whatever we feel like ;-) ? Or is it currently discussed on the
incubator PMC list?

Michi

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 18:12, Steven Noels wrote:
> On 23 Jul 2004, at 16:20, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> >> are we waiting for Steven to report?
> >
> > If Lenya had prepared a resolution in time for the Board meeting, I've
> > have been prepared for the Board to vote, but seeing as how Steven was
> > one
> > of the mentors and the Cocoon PMC Chair for most of Lenya's
> > incubation, it
> > would be good to get his feedback, now that he's back.
>
> Hm. My holiday schedule is tightly watched.
>
> I'm +1 on Lenya exiting incubation, withdrawing earlier reservations in
> the sense that I feel the current community is much more diverse,
> goal-oriented and less marketing-eager than what we have seen in the
> past.

Ah, "marketing eager", that was _the_ concern people were talking about
here I guess :)

Steven, thanks for ur trust in our community. We really admire that.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> I'm +1 on Lenya exiting incubation, withdrawing earlier reservations in
> the sense that I feel the current community is much more diverse,
> goal-oriented and less marketing-eager than what we have seen in the
> past.

I am still marketing-eager...

(I hope you do not withdraw your withdrawal now ;-)

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> I'm +1 on Lenya exiting incubation, withdrawing earlier reservations in
> the sense that I feel the current community is much more diverse,
> goal-oriented and less marketing-eager than what we have seen in the
> past.

Seems like the consensus is to promote Lenya.  Would you and Stefano please
work with them to help prepare a resolution and resource plan?  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 23 Jul 2004, at 16:20, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> are we waiting for Steven to report?
>
> If Lenya had prepared a resolution in time for the Board meeting, I've
> have been prepared for the Board to vote, but seeing as how Steven was
> one
> of the mentors and the Cocoon PMC Chair for most of Lenya's
> incubation, it
> would be good to get his feedback, now that he's back.

Hm. My holiday schedule is tightly watched.

I'm +1 on Lenya exiting incubation, withdrawing earlier reservations in
the sense that I feel the current community is much more diverse,
goal-oriented and less marketing-eager than what we have seen in the
past.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> +1 for Lenya to graduate from incubation and apply for a TLP.

ehm, question, are we waiting for Steven to report?

--
Stefano, just curious

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
+1 for Lenya to graduate from incubation and apply for a TLP.

- Leo

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Both Nicola and I are aligned in indicating that there is not much else
> that we can teach to those guys and that nobody here seems to have a
> problem with it, I would ask for a vote.
>
> I'm not completely up-to-date with the procedures, so, please, don't
> flame me if this is not the right way of doing it, but I would like to
> start a vote on exiting incubation.
>
> Should it be done here or on the PMC?

i think here is fine if recent votes (geronmio, spam assasin) are an
indication :)

other votes had a note about the destination. in an earlier mail, it was
proposed that lenya become a TLP. this requires a board resolution. spam
assassin wrote in their vote:

[ ] +1 - The SpamAssassin project has met the requirements
          for incubation and will be recommended to the
          board for TLP status

[ ] -1 - The SpamAssassin project as not met the requirements
          for incubation

I'd like to be able to present the Board with a resolution on
wednesday, which I realise is close by.
<<<

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Should it be done here or on the PMC?
>

> here.
>
>  From the status file:
> ---
> !!!Organizational acceptance of responsibility for the project
>
> *If graduating to an existing PMC, has the PMC voted to accept it?
>
> *If graduating to a new PMC, has the board voted to accept it?
>
> !!!Incubator sign-off
>
> *Has the Incubator decided that the project has accomplished all
>      of the above tasks?
>
> !! Open incubation tasks
>
> List of unfinished incubation rasks.
>
> * Attract more developers to full fill the incubation policy
> in terms of having 50% of independent developers.
> ---
>
> So...has the cocoon PMC voted to accept it? (and the policy changed
> about the 50% rule since discussing it :-D)

ehm, FYI, Lenya is going top level.

> I also vaguely remember some concerns expressed a while back on the PMC
> list. I take it those have all been addressed?

which PMC?

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 21:55, Leo Simons wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> >>I also vaguely remember some concerns expressed a while back on the PMC
> >>list. I take it those have all been addressed?
> >
> > Would be very interesting for us to know about those concerns. Can you
> > give more details please, or isn't it our _concern_ to know them?
> >
> > We only can improve our behaviour and processes if u guys tell us what
> > goes wrong.
>
> I looked some things up in my archives. I think y'all were told about
> all of it (from the looks of it most of those posts were CCed to
> lenya-dev)

Well, I'm not a real Lenya dinosaur, but maybe those issues were before
my time. However, all the mails I have read, did not point me to any
serious problem. Ok, there was a  _non incubator way_ release made,
sorry again. And of course, in the meantime, I heard some _old stories_,
but hey, Lenya is almost as old as the incubator project itself.

If u have time, can u please provide links to eyebrowse, so that I can
fix my lack of knowledge releated to the issues u are talking about?

> and the wrinkles did go away as far as I can see.

Good to hear that :)

> I'm not tracking lenya that closely, so didn't really hear anything else
> about that. Usually no news is good news, but our job is to simply make
> sure :-D.

Yeah, imho the incubator project is very important. Keep on preaching :)

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>>I also vaguely remember some concerns expressed a while back on the PMC
>>list. I take it those have all been addressed?
>
> Would be very interesting for us to know about those concerns. Can you
> give more details please, or isn't it our _concern_ to know them?
>
> We only can improve our behaviour and processes if u guys tell us what
> goes wrong.

I looked some things up in my archives. I think y'all were told about
all of it (from the looks of it most of those posts were CCed to
lenya-dev) and the wrinkles did go away as far as I can see.

I'm not tracking lenya that closely, so didn't really hear anything else
about that. Usually no news is good news, but our job is to simply make
sure :-D.

cheers,

- LSD

Re: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
[...]

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>has the cocoon PMC voted to accept it?
>
> The suggestion from Stefano is that it become a TLP, so cocoon doesn't need
> to vote to accept it.

ehm sorry, that wasn't clear before. I guess we're in a hurry then :-D.

> Steven may still be on a
> vacation.  If he's back, I'd like to hear his views.

(...) Yes he is:

	http://blogs.cocoondev.org/stevenn/archives/002001.html

- LSD

RE: [VOTE] Lenya exiting incubation

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> has the cocoon PMC voted to accept it?

The suggestion from Stefano is that it become a TLP, so cocoon doesn't need
to vote to accept it.

> I also vaguely remember some concerns expressed a while back on the PMC
> list. I take it those have all been addressed?

There were concerns raised by myself, Stefano and Steven.  Stefano appears
satisfied that they have been addressed.  I was pleased with how the Lenya
folks responded to the issues raised on this list.  Steven may still be on a

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Should it be done here or on the PMC?

here.

 From the status file:
---
!!!Organizational acceptance of responsibility for the project

*If graduating to an existing PMC, has the PMC voted to accept it?

*If graduating to a new PMC, has the board voted to accept it?

!!!Incubator sign-off

*Has the Incubator decided that the project has accomplished all
      of the above tasks?

!! Open incubation tasks

List of unfinished incubation rasks.