Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Frank Enders <en...@averbis.de> on 2011/02/09 12:42:30 UTC

SpringContainerDeployer deploy: Missing display name (AS 2.3.1 RC4)

Hello,

when trying to deploy an engine using UIMA AS 2.3.1 RC4 it fails because
of a missing display name:

org.apache.uima.adapter.jms.activemq.SpringContainerDeployer deploy
WARNING:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Display name must not be empty
        at org.springframework.util.Assert.hasLength(Assert.java:136)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.setDisplayName(AbstractApplicationContext.java:254)
        at
org.apache.uima.adapter.jms.activemq.SpringContainerDeployer.initializeTopLevelController(SpringContainerDeployer.java:161)
        at
org.apache.uima.adapter.jms.activemq.SpringContainerDeployer.initializeContainer(SpringContainerDeployer.java:282)
        at
org.apache.uima.adapter.jms.activemq.SpringContainerDeployer.deploy(SpringContainerDeployer.java:413)
[...]

Am I missing a configuration parameter? UimaAsynchronousEngine.Endpoint
and UimaAsynchronousEngine.ApplicationName are set.
The engine runs well using AS 2.3.0.

Thanks for any help! Frank

Re: SpringContainerDeployer deploy: Missing display name (AS 2.3.1 RC4)

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
First, thank you for identifying the problem. The interim fix is to add
<name> element  in the AE descriptor and specify a value. I was able to
verify that if the <name> element is missing OR it has no value, the Spring
Container throws the exception. I will create a JIRA to detect
missing/undefined AE name and generate one. Probably a descriptive log
message would also be useful.

JC

Check if the AE descriptor includes the <name> element like here:

analysisEngineDescription xmlns="http://uima.apache.org/resourceSpecifier">
  <frameworkImplementation>org.apache.uima.java</frameworkImplementation>
  <primitive>true</primitive>
  <annotatorImplementationName>org.apache.uima.examples.cas.PersonTitleAnnotator</annotatorImplementationName>
  <analysisEngineMetaData>

------------------>    <name>Person Title Annotator - Within Names
only</name>        <-----------------------------

The reason why 2.3.0 worked and the 2.3.1 does not has to do with a newer
version of Spring that is bundled
with 2.3.1. It appears that the newer Spring has better validation.

-JC

Posted by Frank Enders <en...@averbis.de>.
Am 09.02.2011 17:37, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> Do all of the annotator (aggregate and primitive) xml descriptors you are
> referring to in your deployment, include a <name> ... </name> part in their
> metaData section?

Thanks, Marshall! There was an empty <name/> tag in the AAE's
descriptor, which caused the error. Thanks!

Re: SpringContainerDeployer deploy: Missing display name (AS 2.3.1 RC4)

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Do all of the annotator (aggregate and primitive) xml descriptors you are
referring to in your deployment, include a <name> ... </name> part in their
metaData section?

-Marshall