Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/05/13 15:36:16 UTC

website improvement for released projects

Maven poms have a <url> element which point to the website that goes
with that pom.  Currently, we're setting these in every POM to be the
main uima website.

Maven conventions for inheriting urls from parent poms is (if you don't
explicitly specify it), to use the parent pom's url, and add a "/" and
then the artifactId.

So, for instance, if the parent pom's url was www.apache.org/uima, the
artifactId was SimpleServer, the default url would be
www.apache.org/uima/SimpleServer.

I think it would be a good idea to use this naming convention for the
sandbox projects we're releasing, as part of increasing the automation
for our releases.

I would also like to work on "reporting" to get the projects to build
their own sub-site pages, and also, "deploy" them to the real website;
the tooling is there, I think, but does need to be figured out and set up.

This would allow some things like (I'm being optimistic here - I haven't
actually tried this...)
 - having docbooks be made available on the website
 - having download pages reflect (automatically) new releases

Currently, we do this by hand, after the release.  The proposal here
would be to do this by running mvn site-deploy on the -distr projects or
on the individually released (e.g. sandbox) projects, after the release
is approved :-).

Anyone see any issues with this?

-Marshall

Re: website improvement for released projects

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2010/5/13 Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>

> Currently, we do this by hand, after the release.  The proposal here
> would be to do this by running mvn site-deploy on the -distr projects or
> on the individually released (e.g. sandbox) projects, after the release
> is approved :-).

I like it! +1
Tommaso