Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Riyaz Mansoor <rm...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/30 04:29:41 UTC

extending tomcat

hi. i'm trying to modify/extend tomcat for a custom portal [type]
application. users logon via a custom SingleSignOn for all applications on
that instance of tomcat.

1) my custom Principal used for authentication requires the properties found
on the "request" object, namely IP Address and Host name for logging
purposes. however, i cannot [seem to] find a method by which these
properties can be set at login time. the Realm interaface or the RealmBase
do not have methods to set a "request" object. is this possible?

2) i need something higher than Filters to do common tasks for all
applications on my tomcat instance. is this possible by, say, extending some
catalina class? if so, could u please point me in that direction? again i
need access to the "request", "response" objects.

3) comment/suggestion: tomcat instances [CATALINA_BASE] do not currently
support the /server/* or the /common/* directories on the tomcat instance
(_BASE) itself. are there plans to do this? for someone such as myself who
extend classes/lib found under /server and /common this would be invaluable
because i can keep the custom classes in my tomcat instance rather than
getting the admin to put it in the actual tomcat installation. a classloader
hierarchy which looks at the _BASE first and then _HOME would work fine for
me. even for the /shared folder.

please comment.

thanx

riyaz

RE: extending tomcat

Posted by John Klancer <ca...@calhoun.plus.com>.
I can't be of much help here, but as for question 1, someone recently
told me that you cannot access the Request object from a Realm except in
Tomcat v5. An Authenticator does have access to the Request object, so
perhaps you can use that to your advantage somehow in your custom
SingleSignOn authenticator.

AGAIN!?!?! SocketException in AJP13 ?? WAS: how to deal with AJP1.3 exception

Posted by Yoav <yo...@capitalmerchant.com>.
Hi,

This is really annoying.
We've just upgraded our Apache + Tomcat to work with mod_jk2+ Tomcat 4.1.24.
(We previously used mod_jk+Tomcat 4.1.18)
All works well, until a user does anything to abort a page (i.e. pressing
back or refresh on the browser).
The log records a *horrible* ERROR - that (indeed) a connection was aborted.

We keep a close watch on our Tomcat log to detect bugs and errors.
Now, the log is filled with useless exception :-(
Is there anything I can do to avoid this ?

(using WinXP + JDK1.3.1 + Apache2.0.45 + mod_jk2 2.0.2)

[ERROR] ChannelSocket - -Error, processing connection
<java.net.SocketException: Connection aborted by peer: JVM_recv in socket
input stream read>
java.net.SocketException: Connection aborted by peer: JVM_recv in socket
input stream read
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:86)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:186)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:225)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:280)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.read(ChannelSocket.java:498)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.receive(ChannelSocket.java:436)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:551)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:679)
        at
a:619)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Thanks,

Yoav.