Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Samuel Desseaux <sa...@ecp.fr> on 2013/10/23 14:53:31 UTC

extract metadata of pdf files with tika

Hi,

I'm a little newbie with tika and would need some help.

I have many pdf files which i would like to extract metadata, in order
to have an xml file (which respect dublin core).

I've followed these links
http://www.hascode.com/2012/12/content-detection-metadata-and-content-extraction-with-apache-tika/#Extracting_Metadata_from_a_PDF_using_a_concrete_Parser
and http://tika.apache.org/0.8/api/org/apache/tika/metadata/Metadata.html

Do i have to write a program with tika to do it?

How could i do that?

Best regards

Samuel

Re: extract metadata of pdf files with tika

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Samuel Desseaux wrote:
>> What language are you writing the rest of your solution in? How are you
>> planning to transform and filter the metadata to get your xml?
>
> With java, i think.

The simplest way to get started them would be using the Tika Facade helper
class:
http://tika.apache.org/1.4/api/org/apache/tika/Tika.html

That provides a simple way to call Tika and get back text + metadata.
Later, you might want to call the parser(s) directly, but the above should
get you going very quickly

Nick

Re: extract metadata of pdf files with tika

Posted by Samuel Desseaux <sa...@ecp.fr>.
Le 23/10/2013 15:12, Nick Burch a écrit :
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Samuel Desseaux wrote:
>> I have many pdf files which i would like to extract metadata, in
>> order to have an xml file (which respect dublin core).
>>
>> Do i have to write a program with tika to do it?
>
> What language are you writing the rest of your solution in? How are
> you planning to transform and filter the metadata to get your xml?

With java, i think.
For your second question, no idea for the moment.

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.