Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Scott Tully <Tu...@Jevic.com> on 2004/02/24 16:30:49 UTC

Too Many Collections

Is there a limit to the number of collections Xindice 1.0 will handle?
I was getting a CORBA error while I had the db setup like this:

db
`-- sbs
    |-- user1
    |   |-- bol
    |   |   `-- 1234563
    |   `-- labels
    |       `-- 7046
    |-- user2
    |   |-- bol
    |   `-- labels
    |-- user3
    |   |-- bol
    |   `-- labels
    |-- user4
    |   |-- bol
    |   `-- labels
    |-- user5
    |   |-- bol
    |   |   `-- 302918
    |   `-- labels
=======================

there is a db with a collection called sbs in it.. this collection holds
username collections(400) -  the username collections hold document type
collections(2), the document-type collections holds documents.

The db crashed at around 400 user collections after running for about 6
months. A CORBA error would print to the screen and Xindice would be
shutdown. Simply running ./start& would bring it back up...  I tried a
number of things to just get Xindice to stay up... I even removed all the
docs and left empty collections... it would still crash.... and not
consistently... sometimes after 1 request, sometimes after 10..... (via
cocoon and command line)

I ended up removing user collections that had not been active in the last 90
days. this cut the number of user collections to 60. Everything is OK for
now... but it will happen again... Is there something that can be done to
prevent this?

Thanks-

Scott

Re: Too Many Collections

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Scott Tully wrote:

> Is there a limit to the number of collections Xindice 1.0 will handle?

I don't know about 1.0, everything below is for 1.1. If 1.0 is similar,
this will help...

Xindice opens all collections at startup, at once. Each collection takes
16 file descriptors (by default - configurable in 1.1b4-dev). Once you
are out of descriptors... I guess it will crash if you try to create
collection or index or something similar. It still should be able to get
/ store resources.

Vadim