Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> on 2013/05/09 08:39:23 UTC

All region server died due to "Parent directory doesn't exist"

We just had all RegionServers die in a test cluster. All with the following exception.
(This is CDH4.2.1 with HBase 0.94.7 build against it)

Strangely HDFS is up and running (I can ls all directories, create files in it, etc. HDFS's fsck reports that all is well), yet we had the RSs die with this.
This almost looks like a race where the directories under .logs were yanked away while they were still in use.

I plan to investigate this further. In any event, has anybody seen this issue (or anything similar to this) before?
When this happened there was no load on the cluster (other than some write from OTSDB).

Thanks.

-- Lars

2013-05-08 16:02:41,178 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: ABORTING region server <host>,60020,1367614452787: IOE in log roller
java.io.IOException: Exception in createWriter
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLogFileSystem.createWriter(HLogFileSystem.java:66)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog.createWriterInstance(HLog.java:715)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog.rollWriter(HLog.java:648)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.LogRoller.run(LogRoller.java:95)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: cannot get log writer
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog.createWriter(HLog.java:771)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLogFileSystem.createWriter(HLogFileSystem.java:60)
        ... 4 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Parent directory doesn't exist: /hbase/.logs/<host>,60020,1367614452787
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.verifyParentDir(FSNamesystem.java:1726)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFileInternal(FSNamesystem.java:1848)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFileInt(FSNamesystem.java:1770)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFile(FSNamesystem.java:1747)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.create(NameNodeRpcServer.java:418)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.create(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:205)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java:44068)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:453)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1695)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1691)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1408)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:1689)

        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.SequenceFileLogWriter.init(SequenceFileLogWriter.java:173)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog.createWriter(HLog.java:768)
        ... 5 more

Re: All region server died due to "Parent directory doesn't exist"

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Another symptom is that about 1h before the RSs started dying I get logs like this:
2013-05-08 15:02:50,723 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.replication.regionserver.ReplicationSource: Unable to open a reader, sleeping 1000 times

Replication is not the problem here, but it indicates that it suddenly cannot no longer read the log files.
There is nothing interesting in the master log, and as I said HDFS is fine.

-- Lars

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Nope. That does not appear to be the problem.

________________________________
Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ted. I'll do the same.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Yes, I was asking about the patch that introduced that configuration
setting.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: All region server died due to "Parent directory doesn't exist"

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
So that is HBASE-7824, right?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
What was the value for hbase.master.wait.for.log.splitting config parameter ?
Default value is false.

Cheers

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.