Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Stefan Lischke <li...@novacom.net> on 2002/05/05 21:20:12 UTC

xindice removes encoding attribut

Hi,

Richard R. Liu suggested to my earlier &auml; postings:

"Assuming that your XML and XSL documents correctly specify the encoding,
could it be that Xindice is not passing your XSLT engine any <?xml ...>
tag?"

I tried this by adding a document with <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"?> and then i retrieved it and both versions CommandLine
Tool and over xmlrpc gave me a file without those encoding attribute(only
the version tag was within), all those special chars are scrambled and
replaced by ???

Is this normal behaviour?

mfg stefan

SV: xindice removes encoding attribut

Posted by Anders Conrad <ac...@dsl.dk>.
This has been my observation too. By declaring the entities in the DTD,
stuff like &auml; would load into Xindice with no problem. When
retrieving part of the document in an Xpath query, the entity has been
replaced by ?

I know of no other solution than post-processing the output with some
filter.

Anders

Anders Conrad
Redaktør, cand.mag.
Det Danske Sprog- og Litteraturselskab

AW: xindice removes encoding attribut

Posted by Dirk Bromberg <br...@tzi.de>.
Is there a Date where the version 1.1 should be released ??

thx

Dirk Bromberg

On Sunday, May 5, 2002, at 12:20 PM, Stefan Lischke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Richard R. Liu suggested to my earlier &auml; postings:
>
> "Assuming that your XML and XSL documents correctly specify the encoding,
> could it be that Xindice is not passing your XSLT engine any <?xml ...>
> tag?"
>
> I tried this by adding a document with <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="UTF-8"?> and then i retrieved it and both versions CommandLine
> Tool and over xmlrpc gave me a file without those encoding attribute(only
> the version tag was within), all those special chars are scrambled and
> replaced by ???
>
> Is this normal behaviour?

It isn't "normal", but it is the way 1.0 behaves. 1.1 is slated to fix
these issues. Unfortunately, this means that if you need to use full UTF-8
encoding then 1.0 won't be a good solution.

> mfg stefan

Kimbro Staken
Java and XML Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org/xindice