Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/06/02 07:30:56 UTC

Re: I want to override some struts classes

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Jonathan wrote:

> Hello.  I am placing more debugging in the struts source files and I
> want these new classes to override the ones in the struts.jar
>
> I have placed the edited ActionServlet class in the
> WEB-INF/classes/org/struts/action/ directory. It should be working
> right?  Its not.  I also have 2 war files deployed as per the
> instructions on installing struts.  Are they interfering.  What should
> I be doing?
>
> I am using weblogic 6 on solaris

In the servlet 2.3 specification (which Tomcat 4.0 supports), the
container is *required* to make sure that a class in WEB-INF/classes will
override a class of the same name inside a JAR file in WEB-INF/lib, so
what you are describing would work there.

However, WebLogic 6 implements the servlet 2.2 spec, where this
requirement doesn't exist, so whether or not it works is dependent on how
they decided to implement their class loader.

Craig