Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/28 10:50:46 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Log4cxx incubation

Dear Incubator people,

I just added a new proposal for the incubation of log4cxx:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Log4cxxProposal

This project was inactive for a good while at logging.apache.org. When
we discussed the attic,
a lot of people showed their interest and willingness to work on it.

Due to the size of the new team I think it is to start a new incubation.

Of course I am willing to step up as Champion and Mentor. Others here
who have an interest in logging
in C are invited to step up as a mentor too.

The goal is to reboot this project and move it back to logging.a.o as
soon as the team is ready.

As resources are already there, I would like to simply reuse them and
just move the svn repos to the incubator tree.

Please let me know about your thoughts.

Thanks,
Christian

---
http://www.grobmeier.de
@grobmeier
GPG: 0xA5CC90DB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Log4cxx incubation

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
These are all people who are not known to Logging. And so far I don't
see if anybody else at Logging has the time or knowledge to oversee
incoming patches. I would like to treat it as a new incubation: new
people, new community, new things to learn. I would like to give them
write access directly, because I can't judge on the patches myself (zero
c++ knowledge).

Does it explain why I would like to mentor them in the community?

On 30 Nov 2013, at 21:30, sebb wrote:

> I'm not sure why the Incubator needs to be involved at all here.
>
> On 30 November 2013 19:30, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> zero feedback? :-)
>>

>> On 28 Nov 2013, at 10:50, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Incubator people,
>>>
>>> I just added a new proposal for the incubation of log4cxx:
>>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Log4cxxProposal
>>>
>>> This project was inactive for a good while at logging.apache.org.
>>> When we
>>> discussed the attic,
>>> a lot of people showed their interest and willingness to work on it.
>>>
>>> Due to the size of the new team I think it is to start a new
>>> incubation.
>>>
>>> Of course I am willing to step up as Champion and Mentor. Others
>>> here who
>>> have an interest in logging
>>> in C are invited to step up as a mentor too.
>>>
>>> The goal is to reboot this project and move it back to logging.a.o
>>> as soon
>>> as the team is ready.
>>>
>>> As resources are already there, I would like to simply reuse them
>>> and just
>>> move the svn repos to the incubator tree.
>>>
>>> Please let me know about your thoughts.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> ---
>>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>>> @grobmeier
>>> GPG: 0xA5CC90DB
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>> @grobmeier
>> GPG: 0xA5CC90DB

---

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Lazarus <dr...@me.com>.
I am sorry, there has been an emergency in my family and I have not been paying any attention to coding.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
zero feedback? :-)

On 28 Nov 2013, at 10:50, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Dear Incubator people,
>
> I just added a new proposal for the incubation of log4cxx:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Log4cxxProposal
>
> This project was inactive for a good while at logging.apache.org. When
> we discussed the attic,
> a lot of people showed their interest and willingness to work on it.
>
> Due to the size of the new team I think it is to start a new
> incubation.
>
> Of course I am willing to step up as Champion and Mentor. Others here
> who have an interest in logging
> in C are invited to step up as a mentor too.
>
> The goal is to reboot this project and move it back to logging.a.o as
> soon as the team is ready.
>
> As resources are already there, I would like to simply reuse them and
> just move the svn repos to the incubator tree.
>
> Please let me know about your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian
>
> ---
> http://www.grobmeier.de
> @grobmeier
> GPG: 0xA5CC90DB

---

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My comment was more about this:
>
> "This seems like an excellent opportunity for people who are less
> experienced or perhaps not members of the IPMC yet to try their hand at
> mentoring."

I should have used another word: "... try their hand at guiding
podlings" or something like that. Sorry about the confusion.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [PROPOSAL] Log4cxx incubation

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

My comment was more about this:

"This seems like an excellent opportunity for people who are less
experienced or perhaps not members of the IPMC yet to try their hand at
mentoring."

that you putting your self forward, but thanks for clearing it up.

Thanks,
Justin

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your comments Marvin. They were very encouraging.

Scott Deboy just pinged me that he joins the ranks of log4cxx mentors.
He is also is involved in Apache Logging.

I am going to call a vote!

On 4 Dec 2013, at 20:12, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since there are no other interested mentors: would you folks object
>> if we
>> start anyway?
>
> Sounds like a throwback to the early days of the Incubator when I hear
> there
> was only one Mentor per podling. :)  +1, go ahead!
>
> The podling will probably have a comparatively easy incubation, since
> several
> aspects are already taken care of.  Not having to deal with IP
> clearance makes
> things much simpler.  Depending on how quickly the new community
> masters the
> Apache Way, incubation could be over within a few months.
>
> I don't see any problem with what you've proposed as far as reusing
> existing
> resources.  We might not make such exceptions every time, but they
> seem fine
> in this unusual case.  It's nice that there is minimal impact on
> Infra.
>
>> I feel a bit alone with my proposal. Given the size of the IPMC thats
>> a bit
>> sad.
>
> This seems like an excellent opportunity for people who are less
> experienced
> or perhaps not members of the IPMC yet to try their hand at mentoring.
>  Given
> your expertise and dedication, someone with less experience could
> offer advice
> to the podling and feel confident that you would be there to back them
> up or
> provide subtle correction as necessary.
>
> Be sure to let private@incubator know if anybody shows up to help and
> deserves
> to be nominated for the IPMC. :)
>
> Marvin Humphrey

---

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since there are no other interested mentors: would you folks object if we
> start anyway?

Sounds like a throwback to the early days of the Incubator when I hear there
was only one Mentor per podling. :)  +1, go ahead!

The podling will probably have a comparatively easy incubation, since several
aspects are already taken care of.  Not having to deal with IP clearance makes
things much simpler.  Depending on how quickly the new community masters the
Apache Way, incubation could be over within a few months.

I don't see any problem with what you've proposed as far as reusing existing
resources.  We might not make such exceptions every time, but they seem fine
in this unusual case.  It's nice that there is minimal impact on Infra.

> I feel a bit alone with my proposal. Given the size of the IPMC thats a bit
> sad.

This seems like an excellent opportunity for people who are less experienced
or perhaps not members of the IPMC yet to try their hand at mentoring.  Given

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I would appreciate comments if you believe my proceeding is OK.

Since there are no other interested mentors: would you folks object if
we start anyway?

I feel a bit alone with my proposal. Given the size of the IPMC thats a
bit sad.

Thanks,
Christian

On 28 Nov 2013, at 10:50, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Dear Incubator people,
>
> I just added a new proposal for the incubation of log4cxx:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Log4cxxProposal
>
> This project was inactive for a good while at logging.apache.org. When
> we discussed the attic,
> a lot of people showed their interest and willingness to work on it.
>
> Due to the size of the new team I think it is to start a new
> incubation.
>
> Of course I am willing to step up as Champion and Mentor. Others here
> who have an interest in logging
> in C are invited to step up as a mentor too.
>
> The goal is to reboot this project and move it back to logging.a.o as
> soon as the team is ready.
>
> As resources are already there, I would like to simply reuse them and
> just move the svn repos to the incubator tree.
>
> Please let me know about your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian
>
> ---
> http://www.grobmeier.de
> @grobmeier
> GPG: 0xA5CC90DB

---

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
zero feedback? :-)

On 28 Nov 2013, at 10:50, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Dear Incubator people,
>
> I just added a new proposal for the incubation of log4cxx:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Log4cxxProposal
>
> This project was inactive for a good while at logging.apache.org. When
> we discussed the attic,
> a lot of people showed their interest and willingness to work on it.
>
> Due to the size of the new team I think it is to start a new
> incubation.
>
> Of course I am willing to step up as Champion and Mentor. Others here
> who have an interest in logging
> in C are invited to step up as a mentor too.
>
> The goal is to reboot this project and move it back to logging.a.o as
> soon as the team is ready.
>
> As resources are already there, I would like to simply reuse them and
> just move the svn repos to the incubator tree.
>
> Please let me know about your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian
>
> ---