Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Holger Schmidt <Ho...@zmdi.com> on 2010/05/28 07:13:36 UTC

svn:executable not propagated to repository after a merge with a second repository

Hi,

I have one repository with the development tree of some templates.
Those templates are exported to projects that might customize the
templates.  The copy of the templates is added and committed to the
project repository.  In the projects the latest changes in the template
development tree are integrated with a "svn merge $templateRepo@$revOld
$templateRepo@$revNew .".  So far, so good.  But there is a problem if a
property changed in the template repository, at least with
svn:executable.  The property is set in the project working copy where
the merge is done, but a commit does not propagate the property to the
repository.  As a result, the property is not set in all the other
working copies of the project.  My expectation is that I have the same
properties in all working copies of the same repository.  See the
attached script for an example.  I tried to see if this is a known
issue, but the keywords "property" and "merge" pop up everywhere.

This is tested with svn 1.6.1 and 1.6.6.  I don't have a newer version
available and don't have the power to install a newer version.  OS is
CentOS 4.6 and OpenSuse 11.2.  I didn't compile Subversion, so I don't
know the compiler and configuration options.

Thanks,
Holger

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards,
Holger Schmidt

Zentrum Mikroelektronik Dresden AG
Grenzstraße 28, 01109 Dresden, Germany
Phone: +49.351.8822.9 0 3
Holger.Schmidt@zmdi.com
www.zmdi.com

Executive Board: Thilo von Selchow (CEO), Steffen Wollek (CFO)
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Carl-Peter Forster
Amtsgericht Dresden: HRB 19 166; Ust-Ident.-Nr.: DE151798300

Diese Mail ist vertraulich. Sie darf ausschliesslich durch den
vorgesehenen Empfaenger und Adressat gelesen, kopiert oder genutzt
werden. Wenn Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfaenger sind, duerfen Sie
die Informationen nicht offenlegen oder benutzen. Wenn Sie diese Mail
durch einen Fehler bekommen haben, teilen Sie uns dies bitte umgehend
mit, indem Sie diese Mail an den Absender zuruecksenden. Bitte
loeschen Sie danach diese Mail.

This email is confidential. It may be read, copied and used only by
the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have
received this mail in error, please tell us immediately by return
email and delete this email.

Re: svn:executable not propagated to repository after a merge with a second repository

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.
On 28-May-10 9:13, Holger Schmidt wrote:
> I have one repository with the development tree of some templates. Those
> templates are exported to projects that might customize the templates.
> The copy of the templates is added and committed to the project
> repository. In the projects the latest changes in the template
> development tree are integrated with a "svn merge $templateRepo@$revOld
> $templateRepo@$revNew .". So far, so good. But there is a problem if a
> property changed in the template repository, at least with
> svn:executable. The property is set in the project working copy where
> the merge is done, but a commit does not propagate the property to the
> repository.

And svn status and diff do not notice the difference between the working
copy and its repository. Deleting and recreating the property (with
value '*' of course) in the same working copy and committing causes it
to have an empty value in the repository. which is hard to delete: if
you check this out a fresh WC, svn proplist shows the property, but svn
propdel says "Attempting to delete nonexistent property 'svn:executable'".

> This is tested with svn 1.6.1 and 1.6.6.

And confirmed on 1.6.11, SummerSoft packages on CentOS 5.4

--
Stein