Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com> on 2010/11/17 13:41:59 UTC

WEB Application need to upload a txt / csv file with 100K records

Hi

SPEC :

JDK1.5
WEB SERVER : TOMCAT 5.0.20
O/s  Linux - Unix
DB Oracle 10gAS + PLSQL

Logged Session Time

An module of our WEB Application need to upload a  txt / csv  file with  100K records.
These Records are to be validated with certain checks in the Business layer..Before the pumped to a PLSQL of Oracle DB
The process has to further Waite for the response of Errors from PLSQL and has to be displayed on the JSP Screen.

Question  :  I fear the  Login session time out may NOT commit the Process for 100K records.

Can some body suggest me a better way of handling the same successfully .....:(

with regards

N.S.Karthik

RE: WEB Application need to upload a txt / csv file with 100K records

Posted by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

>> but if the browser has to wait more than 3-4 minutes for a server response, the browser will time out on the connection and declare the server dead.

I definitely vote for this primary Issue ...... :{

Any more suggestions

With regards
karthik

> An module of our WEB Application need to upload a  txt / csv  file with  100K records.
> These Records are to be validated with certain checks in the Business layer..Before the pumped to a PLSQL of Oracle DB
> The process has to further Waite for the response of Errors from PLSQL and has to be displayed on the JSP Screen.
>
> Question  :  I fear the  Login session time out may NOT commit the Process for 100K records.
>

> Can some body suggest me a better way of handling the same successfully .....:(

I don't know about the "login session timeout" (or even if it is relevant in this case),
but if the browser has to wait more than 3-4 minutes for a server response, the browser
will time out on the connection and declare the server dead.
You may want to consider that part first.

Re: WEB Application need to upload a txt / csv file with 100K records

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Marian Simpetru <ma...@esolutions.ro>.
Hi,

you can do this using some ajax:

First upload the file
then in the returning JSP you will have a ajax request that check the
status of the process. You can check the validation process, then the
actual database insert.
The resource checked will return the message (and depending of the
returned message you display 'under processing' or the error message or
whatever you need.

Best,

Marian

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.