Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org> on 2010/03/04 17:28:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upcoming OpenJPA 2.0.0 release plans

As we're winding down the changes for the 2.0.0 release, I wanted to
alert everyone to the proposed release dates.

3/19 - Cut 2.0 branch
4/12 - Start release candidate vote

Once the branch is created, only changes approved by myself or Kevin
will be accepted into the branch.  Trunk (probably renamed to 2.1) will
still be open for any changes.

Also, please use this email thread to discuss any critical patches that
you would like to see considered for 2.0.0.

Thanks,
Donald

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming OpenJPA 2.0.0 release plans

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Donald,

I'd like to get OPENJPA-1530 into the 2.0.0 release. It allows schema
generation for non-innodb MySQL storage engines (needed to test MySQL
cluster for example).

It would be great if someone could review the patch...

Thanks,

Craig

On Mar 4, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> As we're winding down the changes for the 2.0.0 release, I wanted to
> alert everyone to the proposed release dates.
>
> 3/19 - Cut 2.0 branch
> 4/12 - Start release candidate vote
>
> Once the branch is created, only changes approved by myself or Kevin
> will be accepted into the branch.  Trunk (probably renamed to 2.1)
> will
> still be open for any changes.
>
> Also, please use this email thread to discuss any critical patches
> that
> you would like to see considered for 2.0.0.
>

> Thanks,
> Donald

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming OpenJPA 2.0.0 release plans

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Donald,

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Everyone, please review the JIRAs you have assigned to you today and
either unassign yourself if you are not going to work on them, move them
to 2.1.0 (soon to be trunk) or remove the Fix Version so they'll be
placed in the backlog.  There are currently 43 issues assigned to the
2.0.0 release, which only a handful will be resolved before the 2.0.0
release.

I plan on cutting the 2.0.x branch later today and will start moving any
JIRAs left in 2.0.0 to either 2.1.0 or backlog as part of preparing the
branch for a beta3 release.

Thanks,
Donald

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by No1UNo <je...@jerrycarter.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
I've got a few last minute JIRAs that I'm working on (1097, 1524, 1550,
1571, ...) as several others like Jeremy, Pinaki, Rick, .... do.

So in reality, it looks like the target for creating the 2.0 branch and
moving trunk to 2.1-SNAPSHOT will be end-of-day Monday, March 22.  But
please, don't see this as an open invitation to flood 2.0 with a lot of
last minute code patches (docs and junit updates are more than welcome),
as we still need to keep trunk stable and ready for a release.  If there
are any questions about a patch, please discuss on this thread before
committing.

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming OpenJPA 2.0.0 release plans

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Milosz,
I actually thought we were doing a pretty good job of updating the
documentation for the new JPA 2 level of functionality as we were
integrating the code changes.  Not sure what aspect of lock modes you are
referring to.  I can see where we have defined the new JPA 2 lock mode as
well as kept the old openjpa lock modes.

So, personally, I don't think we're too far off.  Of course, with enough
examples, I can be educated...  :-)  I know that we have your general doc
update JIRA.  But, maybe we need to open subtasks for the larger areas of
the documentation that still need some work.

Thoughts?
Kevin

Posted by Miłosz <mt...@o2.pl>.
Hi All,

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
OK, all issues that I've heard about are in 2.0.0, so unless someone
speaks up in the next hour, I'll start creating the release candidate.

-Donald

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
One minor clarification - Doc and junit updates can be made to the 2.0.x
branch w/o prior RTC approval.  Just verify that the new tests work on
more than Derby before committing...

-Donald

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
I'll second OPENJPA-1604.

I'd also vote for including OPENJPA-1609 which I think is a minor fix and
the potential for regression is similarly small. I've also spoken with Jody
and I think he has a fix nearly ready.

-mike

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.