Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Gris Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> on 2019/10/02 16:08:40 UTC

Re: [Research] Selecting time for weekly meeting w/ Bitergia

Hi Justin,

Meetings are not mandatory and there is not a need for them yet. The time selection is so the Bitergia team has a block of time where they know they can have a hold of someone in our working group predictably.

Since we are under a contract with Bitergia, milestones need to be achieved/met in a timely manner and meetings can provide a way to unblock things and progress in a constant rhythm.

I do want to give a time where you could make it in case it's needed, could you propose 2 days of the week and times that will work for you? I will add this to the Doodle.

In the meantime, let's continue work through mail, Jira and Confluence. I already briefed the Bitergia team in these channels.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Again, the meetings will be just to provide a time to work on things that
> are needed and email can't facilitate. No need for everyone to attend.

All good by me. The advice Matt and others gave is useful.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Research] Selecting time for weekly meeting w/ Bitergia

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 16:41, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> > and we
> > publish the minutes of those meetings regularly. Similarly in the Outreachy
> > meetings, we’ve been recording and publishing minutes. I consider both
> > meetings to be particularly useful for finalizing decisions that involve
> > two or more people (board for resolutions, smaller meetings for informal
> > equivalents).
> >
> > To make both compatible as possible with the Apache Way, the date and times
> > are scheduled ahead of time and are generally open to anyone who wants to
> > attend
>
> Good advice for PMCs, but not a hard requirement for other committees.
> In fact, we have ample examples where such is an anti-pattern,
> particularly when meeting with external companies.

That's why I said "two or more people". Let me clarify that as "two or
more Apache folk". From an operational perspective, if you have one
Apache person in charge, then there's no need for a meeting. This
doesn't necessarily mean that any officer's actions require this type
of formality.

> If you would like to discuss this further, I'd suggest operations@apache.org.

That could be useful for helping clarify when it's particularly useful
to use open synchronous meetings versus officer actions without the
need for added bureaucracy.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Research] Selecting time for weekly meeting w/ Bitergia

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:46 PM Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Synchronous meetings are done by the board of directors monthly,

As well as by infrastructure, conferences, fundraising, ...

> and we
> publish the minutes of those meetings regularly. Similarly in the Outreachy
> meetings, we’ve been recording and publishing minutes. I consider both
> meetings to be particularly useful for finalizing decisions that involve
> two or more people (board for resolutions, smaller meetings for informal
> equivalents).
>
> To make both compatible as possible with the Apache Way, the date and times
> are scheduled ahead of time and are generally open to anyone who wants to
> attend

Good advice for PMCs, but not a hard requirement for other committees.
In fact, we have ample examples where such is an anti-pattern,
particularly when meeting with external companies.

If you would like to discuss this further, I'd suggest operations@apache.org.

> or get clarity on something in real time. Publishing minutes after
> meetings as well as using mailing lists for the asynchronous aspects of the
> group seems to strike a careful balance. I’d expect other synchronous
> meetings at Apache (regardless of which committee(s) it involves) to be
> done similarly. I wouldn’t expect formal minutes like we publish for the
> board, but making public notes about what was discussed makes the meetings
> accessible to those who either can’t attend synchronously or those with
> accessibility issues.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Oh, almost forgot to mention posting an agenda ahead of time, though we
haven’t been very proactive about that yet for our Outreachy meetings,
though that has been included in the meeting invite usually.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [Research] Selecting time for weekly meeting w/ Bitergia

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Katia Rojas <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.