Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com> on 2016/06/21 18:12:05 UTC

[ANN] Relevant Search by Manning out! (Thanks Solr community!)

Not much more to add than my post here! This book is targeted towards
Lucene-based search (Elasticsearch and Solr) relevance.

Announcement with discount code:
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2016/06/21/relevant-search-published/

Related hacker news thread:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11946636

Thanks to everyone in the Solr community that was helpful to my efforts.
Specifically Trey Grainger, Eric Pugh (for keeping me employed), Charlie
Hull and the Flax team, Alex Rafalovitch, Timothy Potter, Yonik Seeley,
Grant Ingersoll (for basically teaching me Solr back in the day), Drew
Farris (for encouraging my early blogging), everyone at OSC, and many
others I'm probably forgetting!

Best
-Doug

Re: [ANN] Relevant Search by Manning out! (Thanks Solr community!)

Posted by John Blythe <jo...@curvolabs.com>.
awesome, will definitely pick up a copy. booking my ticket to revolution
before the next early bird special lapses, see some of you there!

--
*John Blythe*
Product Manager & Lead Developer

251.605.3071 | john@curvolabs.com
www.curvolabs.com

58 Adams Ave
Evansville, IN 47713

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by Will Hayes <wi...@lucidworks.com>.
W00t! Congrats!

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.
Congrats!!!!!

Now you can enjoy those huge royalty payments that I'm sure are coming
in... <wink>

Great book and it's been hugely helpful to me.

--JohnB

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Doug Turnbull <

Posted by shamik <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all the pointers. With 50% discount, picking a copy is a
no-brainer

Re: [ANN] Relevant Search by Manning out! (Thanks Solr community!)

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Thanks John, and Mary Joe

Yeah it's definitely more about "relevance" than ES or Solr. So the choice
in search engine is more an implementation detail. We chose ES because it's
more book/educational friendly, not necessarily because it's the best
choice as a search engine. It's query language is closer to Lucene, so it
helps for educational purposes without having to teach readers Java and
Lucene. We can also do everything (schema, queries, etc) in JSON in an
ipython notebook, which is very conducive for book content.

If you're interested in the pros/cons of Solr ES around relevancy, I
definitely tried to document where we hit the edges of ES's capabilities in
blog posts like
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2015/12/15/solr-vs-elasticsearch-relevance-part-one/
http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2016/01/22/solr-vs-elasticsearch-relevance-part-two/

I was going to write a part 3 about plugins, but Flax's post seems to
summarize this well enough so that I'm not sure I'll need to!
http://www.flax.co.uk/blog/2016/01/27/fun-frustration-writing-plugin-elasticsearch-ontology-indexing/
(TLDR: Solr is easier to write plugins for)

Anyway as per the book. We try to do our best to map what we do to Solr in
a fairly detailed appendix. Let us know how well you think our strategy
works!

Best
-Doug

Posted by John Bickerstaff <jo...@johnbickerstaff.com>.

Posted by MaryJo Sminkey <mj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by shamik <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Doug,

    Congratulations on the release, I guess, lot of us have been eagerly
waiting for this. Just one quick clarification. You mentioned that the
examples in your book are executed against elasticsearch. For someone
familiar with Solr, will it be an issue to run those examples in a Solr
instance instead ?

-Thanks

Re: [ANN] Relevant Search by Manning out! (Thanks Solr community!)

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.
For those who can't get enough of me and John, you can see us live at 2PM
ET today talk about the book. Come bring your questions! :)

https://blab.im/matthew-l-overstreet-relevant-search-and-building-a-search-practice-jfgn2g

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:45 AM Doug Turnbull <

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.

Posted by Trey Grainger <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Not that I need any other book beyond this one... but I didn't realize that the 50% discount code applies to all books in the order. :)

Congratulations, Doug and John!

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <ab...@apache.org>.
Congrats Doug ! I already pre-ordered a copy :)
Well done !
Cheers !

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Doug Turnbull <

--
--------------------------

Benedetti Alessandro

"Tyger, tyger burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?"

Re: [ANN] Relevant Search by Manning out! (Thanks Solr community!)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
Hat tip, indeed.   It’s a painful process and those that have survived it get my respect.

Who doesn’t want Relevant Search?

—
Erik Hatcher, Senior Solutions Architect
http://www.lucidworks.com <http://www.lucidworks.com/>

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations.

I know it was a very long road. MEAP was really good, I am looking
forward to reading the final version.

Regards,
    Alex.
----
http://www.solr-start.com/

On 22 June 2016 at 04:12, Doug Turnbull

Posted by Sameer Maggon <sa...@measuredsearch.com>.
Congrats Doug & John, will order a copy!

Thanks,

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016, Doug Turnbull <

--
*Sameer Maggon*
www.measuredsearch.com