Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> on 2008/07/07 14:02:30 UTC

[vote] Release 3.5.1 beta 1 (from ooxml branch)

Hi All

Now that we have the OK from the board and the legal committee, I think
it's time for our first beta release from the ooxml branch.

The release artifacts can be downloaded from:
 	http://people.apache.org/~nick/POI-3.5.1-beta1/
including the main parts in:
 	http://people.apache.org/~nick/POI-3.5.1-beta1/main/
and the maven parts in:
 	http://people.apache.org/~nick/POI-3.5.1-beta1/maven/

The binary releases include two versions of the main jar file, one for
those still on Java 1.4, and another for Java 1.5. You need to be using
the Java 1.5 version if you want to also make use of the ooxml support.

The maven release does not include the ooxml support, only the old main /
contrib / scratchpad. This is because many of the ooxml dependencies are
not in ibiblio. We would welcome input on this problem from maven users,
so we can fix this for the next release.

Finally, voting will be open until this Friday, 11th July. Please vote:
  +1 - I support this release
   0 - I have no opinion either way
  -1 - I object, because ....

Nick

Re: [vote] Release 3.5.1 beta 1 (from ooxml branch)

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> It makes sense to prolong the vote for another week.

Yup, I'll restart the count and vote period once I do the new artifacts

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

> Bah, looks like we missed one. The plan is always that when we move the
> main logic from hssf to ss (for cases when the functionality is generic
> and applies to both hssf and xssf), a stub class that extends the ss
> version is left behind. Seems like we missed that one.
>
> I've committed the stub version to the branch now, and I'll aim to do
> some new beta artificats for a new vote shortly

It makes sense to prolong the vote for another week.

>> This is the only issue I found. If there are more, please make sure
>> that existing code works with 3.5.
>
> Please do let me know if you happen to spot any more. We hoped that the
> test suite would show them up, but sometimes refactoring using eclipse
> can be too helpful...

That's why I would like to release from trunk, not from a branch. The likelihood we find and fix bugs is much higher :)

Yegor

Re: [vote] Release 3.5.1 beta 1 (from ooxml branch)

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> (1) I expect the main POI jar (poi-3.5-*.jar) to be compatible with 3.1 and
> earlier releases. 3.1 has just been released and I expected 3.05-beta1 to be
> roughly equivalent. Unfortunately it is no so.
>
> org.apache.poi.hssf.util.Region was moved to org.apache.poi.ss.util.Region.
> For me, it meant that I had to change all the references in my code and
> re-compile it.

Bah, looks like we missed one. The plan is always that when we move the
main logic from hssf to ss (for cases when the functionality is generic
and applies to both hssf and xssf), a stub class that extends the ss
version is left behind. Seems like we missed that one.

I've committed the stub version to the branch now, and I'll aim to do some
new beta artificats for a new vote shortly

> This is the only issue I found. If there are more, please make sure that
> existing code works with 3.5.

Please do let me know if you happen to spot any more. We hoped that the
test suite would show them up, but sometimes refactoring using eclipse can
be too helpful...

> (2) It's not clear what level of conformance should users expect from
> the new OOXML code. We should have a document clearly stating what is
> supported and what is not.

There is some stuff in the docs on this. The aim is for the 3.5 final
release to support most things, with an explicit list of those things not
yet working. No-one has felt motivated to write a list for the beta
release, so you just need to check the code to see if something's still a
stub method or not. Hopefully someone can step forward and write such a
list before it's time for beta 2 :)

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
-1

(1) I expect the main POI jar (poi-3.5-*.jar) to be compatible with 3.1 and earlier releases. 3.1 has just been released
and I expected 3.05-beta1 to be roughly equivalent. Unfortunately it is no so.

org.apache.poi.hssf.util.Region was moved to org.apache.poi.ss.util.Region. For me, it meant that I had to change all
the references in my code and re-compile it.

If OOXML needs Region in a different package - no problem, keep it there, but don't break the structure of the existing
code base.
This is the only issue I found. If there are more, please make sure that existing code works with 3.5.

(2) It's not clear what level of conformance should users expect from the new OOXML code. We should have a document
clearly stating what is supported and what is not.

(1) is a blocker to me. If it is fixed I will vote +1 providing that we have the OOXML conformance statement by 3.5-beta2

Regards,
Yegor

Re: [vote] Release 3.5.1 beta 1 20080718 (from ooxml branch)

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <p....@sourcesense.com>.
Hi all,
today I've given a check to the ooxml part after some time staying away from it.

+1 for me.

Paolo

Paolo Mottadelli: http://www.paolomottadelli.com

Re: [vote] Release 3.5.1 beta 1 20080718 (from ooxml branch)

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Reluctant +1

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Josh Micich wrote:
> "Type mismatch: cannot convert from Region to Region"
> org.apache.poi.hssf.util.Region -> org.apache.poi.ss.util.Region

These were related to hssf.util.Region going walkies. I've fixed this in
svn

> "The import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFFormulaEvaluator.CellValue
> cannot be resolved"
> org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFFormulaEvaluator ->
> org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.FormulaEvaluator.CellValue

Annoyingly, we can't work around this, as Java is against us. You'd think
it'd be fine to import CellValue from FormulaEvaluator via
HSSFFormulaEvaluator (which extends FormulaEvaluator), but Java won't let
you, for reasons which escape me. This, and the other case like it are
listed in the "Converting existing HSSF Usermodel code to SS Usermodel
document".

(If you can think of a fix for this problem, that'd be great. However, I
couldn't find one, and nor could any of the sourcesense guys, which is why
we ended up having to leave it as requiring a change)

> "The method getDataFormatString(Workbook) in the type HSSFCellStyle is
> not applicable for the arguments (Workbook)"
> org.apache.poi.hssf.model.Workbook -> org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.Workbook

Fixed in svn, we'd added support for fetching from a usermodel workbook,
but needlessly zapped the old model workbook support in the process.

I could do yet another build, if people think it's worth it for these
fixes? Otherwise, they'll be in the next beta

Posted by Josh Micich <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Nick,

So I have one problem with the 3.5-beta1 release as it stands - the
junits from trunk (3.1) do not compile against poi-3.5-beta1.jar or
poi-jdk14-3.5-beta1-20080718.jar.

I was attempting to run the junits of 3.1
(https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/testcases) , but I got
about 40 compilation errors that seem to be caused by 3 problems:

"Type mismatch: cannot convert from Region to Region"
org.apache.poi.hssf.util.Region -> org.apache.poi.ss.util.Region

"The import org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFFormulaEvaluator.CellValue
cannot be resolved"
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFFormulaEvaluator ->
org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.FormulaEvaluator.CellValue

"The method getDataFormatString(Workbook) in the type HSSFCellStyle is
not applicable for the arguments (Workbook)"
org.apache.poi.hssf.model.Workbook -> org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.Workbook

I'm not sure if this concern is even relevant to what we should be verifying.

Let me know
-Josh

Posted by "N. Hira" <nh...@cognocys.com>.
+1